From: Jens Axboe on
On Thu, Sep 10 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Ingo Molnar <mingo(a)elte.hu> wrote:
>
> > > However, the interactivity problems still remain. Does that
> > > mean it's not a latency issue?
> >
> > It means that Jens's test-app, which demonstrated and helped us
> > fix the issue for him does not help us fix it for you just yet.
>
> Lemme qualify that by saying that Jens's issues are improved not
> fixed [he has not re-run with latest latt.c yet] but not all things
> are fully fixed yet. For example the xmodmap thing sounds
> interesting - could that be a child-runs-first effect?

I thought so too, so when -tip failed to boot I pulled the patches from
Mike into 2.6.31. It doesn't change anything for xmodmap, though.

--
Jens Axboe

From: Ingo Molnar on

* Jens Axboe <jens.axboe(a)oracle.com> wrote:

> > > It means that Jens's test-app, which demonstrated and helped us
> > > fix the issue for him does not help us fix it for you just yet.
> >
> > Lemme qualify that by saying that Jens's issues are improved not
> > fixed [he has not re-run with latest latt.c yet] but not all things
> > are fully fixed yet. For example the xmodmap thing sounds
> > interesting - could that be a child-runs-first effect?
>
> I thought so too, so when -tip failed to boot I pulled the patches
> from Mike into 2.6.31. It doesn't change anything for xmodmap,
> though.

Note, you can access just the pristine scheduler patches by checking
out and testing tip:sched/core - no need to pull them out and apply.

Your crash looks like clocksource related - that's in a separate
topic which you can thus isolate if you use sched/core.

Thanks,

Ingo
From: Ingo Molnar on

* Jens Axboe <jens.axboe(a)oracle.com> wrote:

> I went to try -tip btw, but it crashes on boot. Here's the
> backtrace, typed manually, it's crashing in
> queue_work_on+0x28/0x60.
>
> Call Trace:
> queue_work
> schedule_work
> clocksource_mark_unstable
> mark_tsc_unstable
> check_tsc_sync_source
> native_cpu_up
> relay_hotcpu_callback
> do_forK_idle
> _cpu_up
> cpu_up
> kernel_init
> kernel_thread_helper

hm, that looks like an old bug i fixed days ago via:

00a3273: Revert "x86: Make tsc=reliable override boot time stability checks"

Have you tested tip:master - do you still know which sha1?

Ingo
From: Jens Axboe on
On Thu, Sep 10 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Jens Axboe <jens.axboe(a)oracle.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 09 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > > At least in my tests these latencies were mainly due to a bug in
> > > latt.c - i've attached the fixed version.
> >
> > What bug? I don't see any functional change between the version
> > you attach and the current one.
>
> Here's the diff of what i fixed yesterday over the last latt.c
> version i found in this thread. The poll() thing is the significant
> one.

Ah indeed, thanks Ingo! I'm tempted to add some actual work processing
into latt as well, to see if that helps improve it.

--
Jens Axboe

From: Jens Axboe on
On Thu, Sep 10 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Jens Axboe <jens.axboe(a)oracle.com> wrote:
>
> > I went to try -tip btw, but it crashes on boot. Here's the
> > backtrace, typed manually, it's crashing in
> > queue_work_on+0x28/0x60.
> >
> > Call Trace:
> > queue_work
> > schedule_work
> > clocksource_mark_unstable
> > mark_tsc_unstable
> > check_tsc_sync_source
> > native_cpu_up
> > relay_hotcpu_callback
> > do_forK_idle
> > _cpu_up
> > cpu_up
> > kernel_init
> > kernel_thread_helper
>
> hm, that looks like an old bug i fixed days ago via:
>
> 00a3273: Revert "x86: Make tsc=reliable override boot time stability checks"
>
> Have you tested tip:master - do you still know which sha1?

It was -tip pulled this morning, 2-3 hours ago. I don't have the sha
anymore, but it was a fresh pull today.

--
Jens Axboe