From: Jens Axboe on
On Thu, Sep 10 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Jens Axboe <jens.axboe(a)oracle.com> wrote:

> > > Lemme qualify that by saying that Jens's issues are improved not
> > > fixed [he has not re-run with latest latt.c yet] but not all things
> > > are fully fixed yet. For example the xmodmap thing sounds
> > > interesting - could that be a child-runs-first effect?
> >
> > I thought so too, so when -tip failed to boot I pulled the patches
> > from Mike into 2.6.31. It doesn't change anything for xmodmap,
> > though.
>
> Note, you can access just the pristine scheduler patches by checking
> out and testing tip:sched/core - no need to pull them out and apply.
>
> Your crash looks like clocksource related - that's in a separate
> topic which you can thus isolate if you use sched/core.

I'm building sched/core now and will run the xmodmap test there.

--
Jens Axboe

From: Jens Axboe on
On Thu, Sep 10 2009, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > * Jens Axboe <jens.axboe(a)oracle.com> wrote:

> > > I thought so too, so when -tip failed to boot I pulled the patches
> > > from Mike into 2.6.31. It doesn't change anything for xmodmap,
> > > though.
> >
> > Note, you can access just the pristine scheduler patches by checking
> > out and testing tip:sched/core - no need to pull them out and apply.
> >
> > Your crash looks like clocksource related - that's in a separate
> > topic which you can thus isolate if you use sched/core.
>
> I'm building sched/core now and will run the xmodmap test there.

No difference. Then I tried switching NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS on, and then
I get:

Performance counter stats for 'xmodmap .xmodmap-carl':

9.009137 task-clock-msecs # 0.447 CPUs
18 context-switches # 0.002 M/sec
1 CPU-migrations # 0.000 M/sec
315 page-faults # 0.035 M/sec
<not counted> cycles
<not counted> instructions
<not counted> cache-references
<not counted> cache-misses

0.020167093 seconds time elapsed

Woot!

--
Jens Axboe

From: Mike Galbraith on
On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 12:28 +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:

> No difference. Then I tried switching NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS on, and then
> I get:
>
> Performance counter stats for 'xmodmap .xmodmap-carl':
>
> 9.009137 task-clock-msecs # 0.447 CPUs
> 18 context-switches # 0.002 M/sec
> 1 CPU-migrations # 0.000 M/sec
> 315 page-faults # 0.035 M/sec
> <not counted> cycles
> <not counted> instructions
> <not counted> cache-references
> <not counted> cache-misses
>
> 0.020167093 seconds time elapsed
>
> Woot!

Something is very seriously hosed on that box... clock?

Can you turn it back on, and do..
while sleep .1; do cat /proc/sched_debug >> foo; done
...on one core, and (quickly;) xmodmap .xmodmap-carl, then send me a few
seconds worth (gzipped up) to eyeball?

-Mike

From: Jens Axboe on
On Thu, Sep 10 2009, Con Kolivas wrote:
> > It probably just means that latt isn't a good measure of the problem.
> > Which isn't really too much of a surprise.
>
> And that's a real shame because this was one of the first real good attempts
> I've seen to actually measure the difference, and I thank you for your
> efforts Jens. I believe the reason it's limited is because all you're
> measuring is time from wakeup and the test app isn't actually doing any work.
> The issue is more than just waking up as fast as possible, it's then doing
> some meaningful amount of work within a reasonable time frame as well. What
> the "meaningful amount of work" and "reasonable time frame" are, remains a
> mystery, but I guess could be added on to this testing app.

Here's a quickie addition that adds some work to the threads. The
latency measure is now 'when did I wake up and complete my work'. The
default work is filling a buffer with pseudo random data and then
compressing it with zlib. Default is 64kb of data, can be adjusted with
-x. -x0 turns off work processing.

--
Jens Axboe

From: Jens Axboe on
On Thu, Sep 10 2009, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 12:28 +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
>
> > No difference. Then I tried switching NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS on, and then
> > I get:
> >
> > Performance counter stats for 'xmodmap .xmodmap-carl':
> >
> > 9.009137 task-clock-msecs # 0.447 CPUs
> > 18 context-switches # 0.002 M/sec
> > 1 CPU-migrations # 0.000 M/sec
> > 315 page-faults # 0.035 M/sec
> > <not counted> cycles
> > <not counted> instructions
> > <not counted> cache-references
> > <not counted> cache-misses
> >
> > 0.020167093 seconds time elapsed
> >
> > Woot!
>
> Something is very seriously hosed on that box... clock?

model name : Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz

Throttles down to 1.00GHz when idle.

> Can you turn it back on, and do..

I guess you mean turn NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS back on, correct?

> while sleep .1; do cat /proc/sched_debug >> foo; done
> ..on one core, and (quickly;) xmodmap .xmodmap-carl, then send me a few
> seconds worth (gzipped up) to eyeball?

Attached.

--
Jens Axboe