From: Ken Russell on
-3^2 is the same as -3*-3 which equals 9 not -9

At least that's what I was taught over 60 years ago.

--
Ken Russell

kenrussellyourhat(a)optushome.com.au
Remove yourhat to reply by e-mail
..

From: Atreides on
But then Ken, what reason would one have for writing:

-x^2

if it really simplifies down to -x * -x = x^2?

How would one write the opposite of the square of x?

Cheers,
Peter

From: Ken Russell on
Doesn't -(x^2) satisfy -9?

From: Atreides on
> Doesn't -(x^2) satisfy -9?

Yes, according to your convention, you would have to write -(x^2). So
consider the two systems we could have:

1. x^2 the opposite of which is -x^2
2. x^2 the opposite of which is -(x^2)

System number one (which, in my experience, is standard in maths, science
and engineering textbooks) makes more sense to me. Indices or powers have
precedence over multiplication.

Consider graphs of parabolas. According to your definition, the graphs:

y = x^2

AND

y = -x^2

would be the same graph. However, in my experience, eveyone knows that y =
x^2 is a "U" shape while y = -x^2 is an "upsidedown-U" shape.

Would you agree?

Cheers,
Peter

From: Ken Russell on
I am a simple man who bows to your superior knowledge. At least all my
maths teachers are dead now :-)

Cheers,

>> Doesn't -(x^2) satisfy -9?
>
> Yes, according to your convention, you would have to write -(x^2). So
> consider the two systems we could have:
>
> 1. x^2 the opposite of which is -x^2
> 2. x^2 the opposite of which is -(x^2)
>
> System number one (which, in my experience, is standard in maths, science
> and engineering textbooks) makes more sense to me. Indices or powers have
> precedence over multiplication.
>
> Consider graphs of parabolas. According to your definition, the graphs:
>
> y = x^2
>
> AND
>
> y = -x^2
>
> would be the same graph. However, in my experience, eveyone knows that y =
> x^2 is a "U" shape while y = -x^2 is an "upsidedown-U" shape.
>
> Would you agree?
>
> Cheers,
> Peter
>

> "Ken Russell" wrote:
>

>> --
>> Ken Russell
>>
>> kenrussellyourhat(a)optushome.com.au
>> Remove yourhat to reply by e-mail
>> ..
>>
>> "Atreides" <atreides1AThotmailD0Tcom> wrote in message
>> > But then Ken, what reason would one have for writing:
>> >
>> > -x^2
>> >
>> > if it really simplifies down to -x * -x = x^2?
>> >
>> > How would one write the opposite of the square of x?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Peter

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4