From: Atreides on
Yes, obviously I should have been more careful transferring Mathematica
formuals into Excel. I though that changing the Mma output into "Input Form"
would have been safe enough - obviously not. Otherwise one must enter the
formulas by hand - not a fun task.

I nice trick I've discovered is to make the cell-reference substitutions in
Mathematica (e.g. a -> G3, b -> G4...). This avoids doing it by hand as well.
From: Myrna Larson on
Who would would possibly know why they did it this way? What's the point of
wasting time speculating about WHY?

You have a problem to solve. I would think your time would be better spent
on that aspect. Fundamentally, you need to add parentheses to an expression
like -X^2 so it becomes -(X^2).

It is VERY unlikely this will be changed. It could "break" existing
spreadsheet formulas that have been written to accommodate Excel's
calculation order.

From: Atreides on
> Who would would possibly know why they did it this way? What's the point of
> wasting time speculating about WHY?

When confronted with something that is so incredibly against convention (and
that I have somehow not noticed for the last 10 or so years), it pulls
terribly at my curiosity.

Also, to increase my understanding of computers and calculating program.

> You have a problem to solve. I would think your time would be better spent
> on that aspect. Fundamentally, you need to add parentheses to an expression
> like -X^2 so it becomes -(X^2).

Yes, this is the obvious fix. However, I have been (and will continue to)
copy formulas from Mathematica (in Input Form, which is almost identical to
Excel format, except for issues like this). If I could avoid all past and
future manual changes to be spreadsheets, this would be incredibly valuable.

But alas.

Here's to checking assumptions...

Cheers,
Peter