From: "David Biddulph" groups [at] on
I guess that you haven't looked at help for the BIN2DEC function?

"Number is the binary number you want to convert. Number cannot contain
more than 10 characters (10 bits). The most significant bit of number is the
sign bit. The remaining 9 bits are magnitude bits. Negative numbers are
represented using two's-complement notation."

Perhaps you might want to split your 10 digit string in half and use
=BIN2DEC(LEFT(A2,LEN(A2)-5))*2^5+BIN2DEC(RIGHT(A2,5))
--
David Biddulph

From: Mike H on
Pete,

I just checked E2003 and you are correct but there is no such explanation of
this limitation in E2007 help reproduced below

A number system is a systematic way to represent numbers with symbolic
characters and uses a base value to conveniently group numbers in compact
form. The most common number system is decimal, which has a base value of 10,
and a symbolic character set of 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. However,
there are other number systems, and they can be more efficient to use for a
specific purpose. For example, because computers use Boolean logic to perform
calculations and operations, they use the binary number system, which has a
base value of 2.

Microsoft Office Excel has several functions that you can use to convert
numbers to and from the following number systems:

Mike

From: Mike H on
> I guess that you haven't looked at help for the BIN2DEC function?

I did and while it is mentioned in e2003 there is no equivalent comment in
e2007 help.

Mike

From: Bernd P on
Hello,

I suggest to use my UDF at:
http://sulprobil.com/html/longdec2bin__.html

Regards,
Bernd
From: Pete_UK on
And I thought XL2007 was meant to be better than XL2003 !! <bg>

(An XL2000 user)

Pete