From: Jack Ouzzi on

A friend has a PC which 'fails to boot' ... blank screen - nothing -
power is OK and running.
After a few attempts at the Delete and F keys whilst running &
booting
I eventually got into the BIOS .... however after a short while
(checking settings) it hangs, then goes back to it's 'nothing' state.
Hitting Delete and F keys during boot are only about 20%
effective ..... its turn off and on again to restart the process ....
I have also tried HD diagnostic software (Spinrite) but that loads
into memory and also hangs .....
Managed to start XP installation with manufacturers rescue disks ...
hangs
Managed to install Linux Mint 8 (after 4 goes) but during boot up it
hangs .....
Any possible ideas please??
From: root on
Jack Ouzzi <mick.sturbes(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> A friend has a PC which 'fails to boot' ... blank screen - nothing -
> power is OK and running.
> After a few attempts at the Delete and F keys whilst running &
> booting
> I eventually got into the BIOS .... however after a short while
> (checking settings) it hangs, then goes back to it's 'nothing' state.
> Hitting Delete and F keys during boot are only about 20%
> effective ..... its turn off and on again to restart the process ....
> I have also tried HD diagnostic software (Spinrite) but that loads
> into memory and also hangs .....
> Managed to start XP installation with manufacturers rescue disks ...
> hangs
> Managed to install Linux Mint 8 (after 4 goes) but during boot up it
> hangs .....
> Any possible ideas please??

Disconnect the disk drives, remove all the cards except
the graphics card and see if the machine will reliably
start and get into the bios. If not the mother board is
bad. If the MB is ok, then you can start adding stuff
back and see what causes the problem.
From: Chris Whelan on
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 09:57:50 +0000, root wrote:

> Jack Ouzzi <mick.sturbes(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> A friend has a PC which 'fails to boot' ... blank screen - nothing -
>> power is OK and running.
>> After a few attempts at the Delete and F keys whilst running & booting
>> I eventually got into the BIOS .... however after a short while
>> (checking settings) it hangs, then goes back to it's 'nothing' state.
>> Hitting Delete and F keys during boot are only about 20% effective
>> ..... its turn off and on again to restart the process .... I have also
>> tried HD diagnostic software (Spinrite) but that loads into memory and
>> also hangs .....
>> Managed to start XP installation with manufacturers rescue disks ...
>> hangs
>> Managed to install Linux Mint 8 (after 4 goes) but during boot up it
>> hangs .....
>> Any possible ideas please??
>
> Disconnect the disk drives, remove all the cards except the graphics
> card and see if the machine will reliably start and get into the bios.
> If not the mother board is bad. If the MB is ok, then you can start
> adding stuff back and see what causes the problem.

To which I would just suggest trying another PSU as a last resort.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <a812fd02-56be-412e-bd8e-498b1ba59532(a)o15g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
Jack Ouzzi <mick.sturbes(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>A friend has a PC which 'fails to boot' ... blank screen - nothing -
>power is OK and running.
>After a few attempts at the Delete and F keys whilst running &
>booting
>I eventually got into the BIOS .... however after a short while
>(checking settings) it hangs, then goes back to it's 'nothing' state.
>Hitting Delete and F keys during boot are only about 20%
>effective ..... its turn off and on again to restart the process ....
>I have also tried HD diagnostic software (Spinrite) but that loads
>into memory and also hangs .....
>Managed to start XP installation with manufacturers rescue disks ...
>hangs
>Managed to install Linux Mint 8 (after 4 goes) but during boot up it
>hangs .....
>Any possible ideas please??

Issues I've seen like this have involved faulty IDE drives - which does
"something" to the IDE bus/chips causing the BIOS to try to probe for
them forever.. So unplug the drives - if they're IDE.

You might also want to try a BIOS NVRAM reset - there's usully jumper on
the board these days to do it - power down, unplug, remove the battery,
move the jumper, count to 120, and reverse the procedure...

Gordon
From: FP on
On 03/06/2010 11:08, Chris Whelan wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 09:57:50 +0000, root wrote:
>
>> Jack Ouzzi<mick.sturbes(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> A friend has a PC which 'fails to boot' ... blank screen - nothing -
>>> power is OK and running.
>>> After a few attempts at the Delete and F keys whilst running& booting
>>> I eventually got into the BIOS .... however after a short while
>>> (checking settings) it hangs, then goes back to it's 'nothing' state.
>>> Hitting Delete and F keys during boot are only about 20% effective
>>> ..... its turn off and on again to restart the process .... I have also
>>> tried HD diagnostic software (Spinrite) but that loads into memory and
>>> also hangs .....
>>> Managed to start XP installation with manufacturers rescue disks ...
>>> hangs
>>> Managed to install Linux Mint 8 (after 4 goes) but during boot up it
>>> hangs .....
>>> Any possible ideas please??
>>
>> Disconnect the disk drives, remove all the cards except the graphics
>> card and see if the machine will reliably start and get into the bios.
>> If not the mother board is bad. If the MB is ok, then you can start
>> adding stuff back and see what causes the problem.
>
> To which I would just suggest trying another PSU as a last resort.

He didn't mention RAM. If it powers up sometimes, but dies after a while
then I would suspect PSU first, then RAM. Especially after the bit about
the diagnostic loading into RAM and then the machine freezes -- one
would hope that a HD diagnostic would report a faulty HD, not freeze the
machine, so I'd have the drives lower down the list.

So if it powers up reliably when you take the drives out, suspect the
PSU (with the drives gone, the PSU may be able to cope). Otherwise, can
you swap the RAM around? What sort of RAM is it?

FP

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Disappearing printouts