From: MSEdit on
Hello,

I currently use BLT in a project with the Freewrap static built
wrapper. I tried including the BLT24.dll in a starpack and it worked
but had a bug with the graph markers. I found a different BLT24.dll
(slightly bigger) but that one only works with wish84 and not tclkit
whereas the first works with both !
Looking through the DLLs the one that only loads with wish depends on
tcl84.dll and tk84.dll but the other does not.

I managed to compile blt84.dll on my PC and that only runs with wish.

The question is does anyone know how to compile a dll for tcl/tk which
does not depend on the tcl/tk dlls but uses them.
I am using VC6.0 (required for BLT) (FYI the blt24.so works fine on
wish and tclkit)

I will try compiling a Freewrap Plus verison this WE to see if that
works any better.

One last piece of information GHowlett is still working away at a
future version (last commit 4 days ago !)
From: Cyan on
On Oct 2, 5:11 pm, MSEdit <mse...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I currently use BLT in a project with the Freewrap static built
> wrapper. I tried including the BLT24.dll in a starpack and it worked
> but had a bug with the graph markers. I found a different BLT24.dll
> (slightly bigger) but that one only works with wish84 and not tclkit
> whereas the first works with both !
> Looking through the DLLs the one that only loads with wish depends on
> tcl84.dll and tk84.dll but the other does not.
>
> I managed to compile blt84.dll on my PC and that only runs with wish.
>
> The question is does anyone know how to compile a dll for tcl/tk which
> does not depend on the tcl/tk dlls but uses them.
> I am using VC6.0 (required for BLT)  (FYI the blt24.so works fine on
> wish and tclkit)
>
> I will try compiling a Freewrap Plus verison this WE to see if that
> works any better.
>
> One last piece of information GHowlett is still working away at a
> future version (last commit 4 days ago !)

Afaik BLT isn't stubs enabled, which is a requirement for working in a
starkit I think.

I use the blt::table geometry manager, so I pulled out that code and
converted it to use only the public Tcl and Tk stubs, but doing that
for all the graph stuff is probably a lot more work.

Great news that it's being worked on again. Here's hoping it'll get
stubsified so it plays nicely with starkits. I seem to remember
getting it right to load the unmodified BLT into a starkit, but only
on some platforms, but I suspect some pretty nasty stuff was happening

Cyan
From: MSEdit on

Stubs enabled is not a requirement to work in a starpack, at least
under linux the blt source compiles easily (RHEL 5, just configure and
make) The blt.so produced can be copied to a starpackand loads/runs
without problems ! It is only under windows where the compile is a
nightmare (compiler no longer available, makefiles need to be
modified, source files need to be modified (even tk source has to be
modified to compile under windows "SetWindowLongPtr" not in a #ifdef
_WIN64) I did not realise that windows was such a mess to compile on,
I hope 8.6 will be easier.

My question is therefore is is possible to use a non-stub dll under
windows (maybe compiled with GCC or is this a problem with the dll
mechanism as the .so mechanism works correctly ?

BLT is not being worked on again it has been worked on regularly since
it was written. The realy good news is that the HEAD makefiles have
stub options in them.

Martyn
From: Torsten Berg on
Hi,

> I will try compiling a Freewrap Plus verison this WE to see if that
> works any better.

If you can stick to Tcl 8.4, your best option is perhaps freewrapPLUS
version 6.32 which is the last version based on Tcl 8.4. It has BLT
built in and there is a ready-to-use binary for windows on
sourceforge. I use it a lot and it has worked great for me.

Torsten
From: MSEdit on
On Oct 5, 11:34 pm, Torsten Berg <b...(a)typoscriptics.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I will try compiling a Freewrap Plus verison this WE to see if that
> > works any better.
>
> If you can stick to Tcl 8.4, your best option is perhaps freewrapPLUS
> version 6.32 which is the last version based on Tcl 8.4. It has BLT
> built in and there is a ready-to-use binary for windows on
> sourceforge. I use it a lot and it has worked great for me.
>
> Torsten

Thanks, I will try freewrap 6.32 as well (I had the source to 5.55).
My problem is that I need to modify BLT to fix a small problem so
therefore need to recompile FreeWrap/BLT on windows which is a MAJOR
undertaking (this is not a problem with freewrap however but more of a
problem with compiling on windows) It would be nice to have access to
the exact source that Denis used to make freewrap at the time because
it is not clear if I have downloaded exactly the same BLT source and
Zlib (from 2003), my executable seems to work but is 400k bigger for
some reason ! and after UPX it no longer works.

This still does not explain why under Linux BLT can be loaded from
within a starpack !!