From: Randem on
If you are going to install SP3 and you are worried about other program
affecting the installaion, boot into safe mode then install it. Of course
you would need to download the SP3 installation first...

Backup info: http://www.randem.com/backingupyourcomputersdata.html

--
The Top Script Generator for Jordan Russell's Inno Setup -
http://www.randem.com/innoscript.html

From: Nick L. Odeon on
Learn how to properly reply in a newsgroup.

"Randem" <newsgroups(a)randem.com> wrote in message
: If you are going to install SP3 and you are worried about other program
: affecting the installaion, boot into safe mode then install it. Of course
: you would need to download the SP3 installation first...
:
:

From: Steve Cochran on
What will you do if your hard drive fails? Your backup will be gone. Backup to another device. And what are you backing up? You need to find the files you wish to save and then copy them to the backup device. For instance, if you use OE, you need to backup you files and settings (see www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx and www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/).

steve

From: Paul on
Nicdig wrote:
> I want to back up my windows xp computer; but without using: external hard
> drives, cd's, flash drives, etc.
> I want to do the back up that will stay safe on my pc. I would also consider
> also to save the back up online.
>
> My problem is that I dont know how to do it so this is what I need...
> *A FREE program for the pc or FREE site online that will store this for me
> safely, securely, reliable, etc. Sorry but times are tough. *
>
> I am looking for ease in the program because I am not very knowledgable on
> doing this. I have used anti virus/spyware programs/ registry cleaners/ etc
> that have an option to back up prior to using the program each time..I click
> and it does a back up..But I dont think that this is the same as doing a
> full back up..
> Main reason: I am going to install the sp3 soon and want to back up, in case
> there is chaos. So before I proceed, I want to do this before hand...
>
> Please let me know what works for u keeping in mind my needs.
> Thanks in advance.........

If you back up online, to some small startup company or the like,
even if the backup was encrypted, they'd have all the time in the
world to try to decrypt your storage. If you're at all paranoid,
online backup is not the answer. (I have the same concern about
some postings I've seen recently, offering a "free proxy server".
The opportunities to extract passwords, bank details, game account
info, and the like, is endless. That's why they don't charge for
their "free service".)

Start by having a look at the storage available on your computer.
How much "free space" do you have ? Perhaps you can save an image
of your working files on C:, and store them on C: as a backup file.
SP3 may have many potential failure modes, but erasing C: likely isn't
one of them. So if you don't have the resources for external hard
drives and the like, instead look at your free and used space.

Just double click "My Computer", and have a look at the statistics.
That'll give you some idea if there is room to do the job with
what you've already paid for.

Paul
From: John John - MVP on
Why do you strip all your posts of any quoted text? When replying to
posts you should at least keep relevant parts of the post to which you
are replying!