From: Nicdig on
I want to back up my windows xp computer; but without using: external hard
drives, cd's, flash drives, etc.
I want to do the back up that will stay safe on my pc. I would also consider
also to save the back up online.

My problem is that I dont know how to do it so this is what I need...
*A FREE program for the pc or FREE site online that will store this for me
safely, securely, reliable, etc. Sorry but times are tough. *

I am looking for ease in the program because I am not very knowledgable on
doing this. I have used anti virus/spyware programs/ registry cleaners/ etc
that have an option to back up prior to using the program each time..I click
and it does a back up..But I dont think that this is the same as doing a
full back up..
Main reason: I am going to install the sp3 soon and want to back up, in case
there is chaos. So before I proceed, I want to do this before hand...

Please let me know what works for u keeping in mind my needs.
Thanks in advance.........

From: Peter on
On 07/08/2010 05:11 PM, Nicdig wrote:
> I want to back up my windows xp computer; but without using: external hard
> drives, cd's, flash drives, etc.
> I want to do the back up that will stay safe on my pc. I would also consider
> also to save the back up online.
>
> My problem is that I dont know how to do it so this is what I need...
> *A FREE program for the pc or FREE site online that will store this for me
> safely, securely, reliable, etc. Sorry but times are tough. *
>
> I am looking for ease in the program because I am not very knowledgable on
> doing this. I have used anti virus/spyware programs/ registry cleaners/ etc
> that have an option to back up prior to using the program each time..I click
> and it does a back up..But I dont think that this is the same as doing a
> full back up..
> Main reason: I am going to install the sp3 soon and want to back up, in case
> there is chaos. So before I proceed, I want to do this before hand...
>
> Please let me know what works for u keeping in mind my needs.
> Thanks in advance.........

Just set a system restore point before you install SP3. Also do a clean
up and defrag before hand along with disabling your anti virus resident
scan and after SP3 is installed, reboot TWICE. If you have any real time
malware applications, disable them as well before doing the install.

--
Peter
From: HeyBub on
Nicdig wrote:
> I want to back up my windows xp computer; but without using: external
> hard drives, cd's, flash drives, etc.
> I want to do the back up that will stay safe on my pc. I would also
> consider also to save the back up online.
>
> My problem is that I dont know how to do it so this is what I need...
> *A FREE program for the pc or FREE site online that will store this
> for me safely, securely, reliable, etc. Sorry but times are tough. *
>
> I am looking for ease in the program because I am not very
> knowledgable on doing this. I have used anti virus/spyware programs/
> registry cleaners/ etc that have an option to back up prior to using
> the program each time..I click and it does a back up..But I dont
> think that this is the same as doing a full back up..
> Main reason: I am going to install the sp3 soon and want to back up,
> in case there is chaos. So before I proceed, I want to do this before
> hand...
> Please let me know what works for u keeping in mind my needs.
> Thanks in advance.........

Inasmuch as you evidently have more time than money, here's a simple, but
time-consuming, solution:

ZIP all your personal data and everything you that cannot be re-installed
from the web or distribution disks.

Add this as an attachement to a Google-mail email to yourself.

Gmail allows a bunch, upwards of 8 gigabytes of storage, for each account.
Other free email services (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.) also offer massive storage.

From: Unknown on
What you're asking for is impossible. A proper backup needs to be
'external'.

From: Bill in Co on
Peter wrote:
> On 07/08/2010 05:11 PM, Nicdig wrote:
>> I want to back up my windows xp computer; but without using: external
>> hard drives, cd's, flash drives, etc.
>> I want to do the back up that will stay safe on my pc. I would also r
>> consider also to save the back up online.
>>
>> My problem is that I dont know how to do it so this is what I need...
>> *A FREE program for the pc or FREE site online that will store this for
>> me
>> safely, securely, reliable, etc. Sorry but times are tough. *
>>
>> I am looking for ease in the program because I am not very knowledgable
>> on
>> doing this. I have used anti virus/spyware programs/ registry cleaners/
>> etc
>> that have an option to back up prior to using the program each time..I
>> click
>> and it does a back up..But I dont think that this is the same as doing a
>> full back up..
>> Main reason: I am going to install the sp3 soon and want to back up, in
>> case there is chaos. So before I proceed, I want to do this before
>> hand...
>>
>> Please let me know what works for u keeping in mind my needs.
>> Thanks in advance.........
>>

> Just set a system restore point before you install SP3. Also do a clean
> up and defrag before hand along with disabling your anti virus resident
> scan and after SP3 is installed, reboot TWICE. If you have any real time
> malware applications, disable them as well before doing the install.

Are you sure System Restore would be able to successfully restore back to
SP2 if that's what he wanted to do? (I just have some doubts, due to the
extent of changes made when SP3 is installed).

The real solution to his situation is to use disk imaging or disk cloning,
which requires another HD. That way if anything goes awry, he can be back
to his original SP2 installation without incident. If he doesn't want to
do that, then all bets are off. And $50 for such a program ... is *well
worth it*. :-)