From: Thadeus on
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:37:39 -0700 (PDT), Branden Durst <durstbj(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hey Guys,
>
>So maybe this is a really easy one, but I can't seem to figure it out.
>
>I have a font that I am using for most of my webstie, but a lot of
>users probably won't have the font. What I'd like to do is provide a
>backup font in the situation where my defined font is not available.
>In other words, my defined font is Tw Cen MT, but if a visitor to the
>site doesn't have it, I'd like it to display Arial.
>
>Thanks in advance!

If in CSS, like this:

body {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
background: #000000 url(images/150img1.gif) repeat-x;
font: normal small "Trebuchet MS", Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
color: #FFF;

Just keep adding if you want.

If you are broke and a torrent user, search for lynda.com and a DW video
tutorial
From: Thadeus on
Also ran across this: http://www.html.net/tutorials/css/lesson4.asp

When you list fonts for your web site, you naturally start with the most
preferred font followed by some alternative fonts. It is recommended to complete
the list with a generic font family. That way at least the page will be shown
using a font of the same family if none of the specified fonts are available.

Font family [font-family]
The property font-family is used to set a prioritized list of fonts to be used
to display a given element or web page. If the first font on the list is not
installed on the computer used to access the site, the next font on the list
will be tried until a suitable font is found.

There are two types of names used to categorize fonts: family-names and generic
families. The two terms are explained below.

Family-name
Examples of a family-name (often known as "font") can e.g. be "Arial", "Times
New Roman" or "Tahoma".
Generic family
Generic families can best be described as groups of family-names with uniformed
appearances. An example is sans-serif, which is a collection of fonts without
"feet".

An example of a prioritized list of fonts could look like this:

h1 {font-family: arial, verdana, sans-serif;}
h2 {font-family: "Times New Roman", serif;}

From: Thadeus on
wrote:

>What I'd like to do is provide a
>backup font in the situation where my defined font is not available.

If it's a MUST HAVE design issue for you, design it with your font in a graphic
and place it in the page. Millions do each day.

That way you get your font EVERY time.
From: Your Name on

"Thadeus" <thc(a)ganja.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:37:39 -0700 (PDT), Branden Durst
<durstbj(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >What I'd like to do is provide a
> >backup font in the situation where my defined font is not available.
>
> If it's a MUST HAVE design issue for you, design it with your font in a
graphic
> and place it in the page. Millions do each day.
>
> That way you get your font EVERY time.

You can also use PDF, Flash, etc. to get a particular font to display on
every computer (or at least every computer with the correct plug-in /
add-on).