From: Gis Bun on
I have an old copy of Ghost floating around. It's compatible with XP but
probably not recent version of Windows. Outside of buying an update is there
any alternatives? [Free maybe?]

I'd either want to boot in DOS and image from the drive to a USB flash key
or DVD media.

The other option is to temporarily attach it to my system and image it from
Windows [technically faster].

Would imagex work?

From: pip22 on

There's a free one by Paragon here: (You may have to keep trying, their
server just went down):

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/download.html

I don't think it supports writing to optical discs, but it does support
any type of drive connected via USB. I use it to create disk images on
to external USB hard drive. Works brilliant, and restore works fine
too.

I suggest you buy an external hard drive like me - they are the easiest
way.

If you must have optical disc support, Paragon has a "paid for"
version.