From: Johnse on
My backups were running great untill I installed windows updates at the end
of July. Since then my backup failed unless I rebooted every day. I
installed SBS SP1 because it looked like that would fix my backup issues. It
didn't. Same deal. I can backup to a file, not to tape unless I reboot. Is
there any solution or do I have to purchase Veritas Backup Exec or Brighstor
Arcserve? This is what I get:

Backup Runner started.
NTMS session started successfully.
EnumerateNtmsObject(NTMS_LIBRARY) succeeded.
Will enumerate on 6 media libraries found.
GetNtmsObjectInformation(NtmsLibraryInfo) succeeded.
GetNtmsObjectInformation(NtmsLibraryInfo) succeeded.
Found an enabled library.
InventoryNtmsLibrary(NtmsInventoryOmid) succeeded.
Identify Media completed
EnumerateNtmsObject(NTMS_PHYSICAL_MEDIA) succeeded.
Will enumerate on 0 media types found.
GetNtmsObjectInformation(NtmsLibraryInfo) succeeded.
GetNtmsObjectInformation(NtmsLibraryInfo) succeeded.
GetNtmsObjectInformation(NtmsLibraryInfo) succeeded.
GetNtmsObjectInformation(NtmsLibraryInfo) succeeded.
Found an enabled library.
InventoryNtmsLibrary(NtmsInventoryOmid) succeeded.
Identify Media completed
EnumerateNtmsObject(NTMS_PHYSICAL_MEDIA) succeeded.
Will enumerate on 0 media types found.
Unable to detect tape drive or tape media.
GetTapeMediaPoolName failed. (0x80070458)
GetBackupDestination failed. (0x80070458)
LaunchNTBackup failed. (0x80070458)
NTBackup finished the backup with errors.

For more information about failed backups, see the article on
troubleshooting your backup at the following Web page:

Backup ended at Friday, September 02, 2005 11:14 AM
Backup error finished with error code 0X80070458.

From: v-crinal on
Hi Johnse,

Thank you for posting in SBS newsgroup.

From your problem description, I understand this issue to be: you could not
successfully backup your SBS server with SBS backup wizard or NTbackup
utility.

From the backup log, obviously, this issue is caused by that following
procedure call cannot be fulfilled.

GetTapeMediaPoolName failed. (0x80070458)
GetBackupDestination failed. (0x80070458)
LaunchNTBackup failed. (0x80070458)

Translated from error code library, 0x80070458 is for
ERROR_NO_MEDIA_IN_DRIVE which means there is no media in drive. From this
error, we can know there could be two possible cause of this issue.

1. There is actually no tape in the tape device and it is not correctly
mounted.
2. The tape device is not Listed as Compatible Device with Windows Server
2003 system. There is compatibility issue that the device cannot be
correctly recognized by the system. Please check if the backup device is in
the HCL list:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/server/default.aspx?subID=22&xslt=h
ardwarehome

To narrow down the problem, would you please help me collect the following
information?

1. Have you clicked the "Mark as Clean" item? If not, please doing so and
trying again
2. What's the exact model of your tape drive?
3. If you put in a new tape does it start working?
4. If you backup to lacal hardware does it work?
5. If you run NTBackup manually with the same tape, are you able to backup
to it?
6. Clean the tape drive, does it help?
7. This issue can occur if the RSM database gets corrupted. Is there any
RSM error in event log? Please try the steps below and see how it goes:

1) Remove the tape drive from Device Manager.
2) Remove the tape device from RSM.
3) Do a scan for hardware changes in Device Manager.
4) Device Manager should re-detect the device and install it. RSM should
automatically install it a few minutes after that.
5) Attempt an inventory from a tape with backup data after RSM has
re-detected and installed the device.

8. Please gather the latest NTbackup, SBS Backuprunner logs and Application
log, compress them to a ZIP file, and then send it to me at
v-crinal(a)microsoft.com for analysis:

1) Application, System logs around time of failure
2) The Backupxx.log files in the folder 'C:\Documents and Settings\SBS
Backup User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
NT\NTBackup\data'.

Note: Before reproduce the problem, please open NTBACKUP, click
"Tools"->"Options" and then check "Detailed" on the "Backup Log" tab. Then
reproduce this issue and send the backup log to me (Tools->Report).

3) The Sbsbackuplog0x.log files which can be located under the folder
'%sbsprogramdir%\Support\Backup Logs'.

The following KB artilces are for your reference:

831664 "The requested media failed to mount" error message when you try to
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=831664

840754 Backups on Windows Small Business Server 2003 may use more backup
media
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=840754

839591 A scheduled backup task unexpectedly quits in Windows Server 2003
when
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=839591

If you have any questions or concerns related to this issue, please let me
know.

I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Crina Li (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here: