From: Wael on
Hi

I have an annoying error 1030 related to group policy. I tried
everything I could think of including disabling all group policies, but
can't fix it. The problem seems to happen only for "administrator",
although some workstations occasionally experience login problems
because of group policy.

I tried running group policy results. I get different group policy
problems with different computers and different users.
Group Policy Infrastructure failed due to the error listed below.

Here are samples of the errors. The second one is for administrator. I
have to mention that the administrator can access all group policy
folders with no problem.
Group Policy Infrastructure Success 8/26/2005 10:33:17 AM
EFS recovery Success (no data) 8/22/2005 4:48:05 PM
Microsoft Disk Quota Success (no data) 8/24/2005 8:54:00 AM
Registry Success 8/25/2005 4:43:16 PM
Scripts Success 8/22/2005 4:48:03 PM
Security Failed 8/26/2005 10:33:17 AM
---
Security failed due to the error listed below.

An extended error has occurred.

Additional information may have been logged. Review the Policy Events
tab in the console or the application event log for events between
8/26/2005 10:33:16 AM and 8/26/2005 10:33:17 AM.
Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.

Note: Due to the GP Core failure, none of the other Group Policy
components processed their policy. Consequently, status information for
the other components is not available.

Additional information may have been logged. Review the Policy Events
tab in the console or the application event log for events between
8/26/2005 10:16:13 AM and 8/26/2005 10:16:13 AM.
---
Internet Explorer Branding (N/A) 7/14/2005 12:25:22 PM
Registry (N/A) 7/14/2005 12:25:17 PM
Scripts (N/A) 7/14/2005 12:25:17 PM

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1030
Date: 8/25/2005
Time: 8:06:11 PM
User: JSSRESEARCH\administrator
Computer: MTL-JSS1
Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. Check the
event log for possible messages previously logged by the policy engine
that describes the reason for this.

Thanks

From: "Charles Yang [MSFT]" on
HI Wael,

Thanks for using this newsgroup.

Issue description:
============

I understand that you encountered error 1030 on the group policy.

Analyzing and suggestions:
=============

Generally speaking, the error event 1030 only indicate a general error, we
could not find any information on this error. Normally there should be
error event 1058 logon into the event view, please also checked it and
paste them to newsgroup.

Generally speaking, this error might be related to group policy did not
process well, it might be caused by many factors, please refer to my
suggestions below:

Before we go any further, please make sure Do not do the same things to the
computers which are not getting this events.

1. Please rejoin the domain follow my steps below, I understand that you
have do it but please double check it to make sure that you follow the
steps below to do it:

Actually this issue can occur if the computer accounts for the computers
are corrupted. To resolve the issue, you should try the following steps to
quit and rejoin in the domain (disjoining and joining):

A. Quit the clients from the domain and join in a workgroup (workgroups).

B. Open the "Active Directory Users and Computers" snap-in (dsa.msc).

C. Open the Computers or My Business\Computers\SBSComputers container.
Right click on a computer account and choose Delete. Do this for all the
problematic computers.

D. Join the clients into the domain again.

You should make sure all clients point to the SBS server's internal IP
address as their ONLY DNS server. Also both network adapters on the SBS
server are pointing to the SBS internal IP address of the only DNS server.
In DNS, use forwarder to forward all name resolution requests to the ISP's
DNS server. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft
Knowledge Base article:

825763 How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=825763

Regarding how to check DNS for Dynamic Update, please run DNSMGMT.MSC to
open the DNS management console, right click on the "server.domain.local"
forward lookup zone and choose Properties and then make sure the "Dynamic
Updates" is set as "Secure Only". If you made change to the settings in
DNS, you should restart the DNS Server service (right click on the server
name and choose All Tasks->Restart).

Regarding the event 1030 problem, please make sure the "Distributed File
System" service is started on the server. Also make sure DFS Client is
turned on on the clients using the following steps:

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using
Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type "regedt32" (without the quotation marks), and then
click OK.

3. In the Registry Editor window, locate the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Mup

4. In the right details pane, check if you see the "DisableDFS" value. If
you cannot find it, DFS Client should be enabled. If you see it,
double-click DisableDFS. The DFS client is turned off if the value in the
"Value data" box is 1. The DFS client is turned on if the value in the
"Value data" box is 0.

5. In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box that appears, type "0" (without the
quotation marks) in the "Value data" box, and then click OK.

6. On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any further concerns. I
will be here waitting for your updates.

Best regards,

Charles Yang (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------

From: Wael on
Hi Charles,
Error 1085 happens on the client as well as warning 1202

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1085
Date: 8/31/2005
Time: 9:22:50 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: WKSTN-7
The Group Policy client-side extension Security failed to execute.
Please look for any errors reported earlier by that extension.

-------------------------------
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: SceCli
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1202
Date: 8/31/2005
Time: 9:22:50 AM
User: N/A
Computer: WKSTN-7
Security policies were propagated with warning. 0x4b8 : An extended
error has occurred.
Please review the detailed log security\logs\winlogon.log under Windows
root to troubleshoot the application of security policy.

From: "Charles Yang [MSFT]" on
HI Wael,

Thanks for updates.

Although this error are relate to GPO updates, it might not relate to each
other. Here I would like to give you some suggestions on error 1202 and
error 1085.

Error 1085:

It should be the folder redirection issue, check to make sure that the user
has appropriate permissions on the redirected folder. In addition, run
rsop.msc on the client and locate your folder redirection policy, right
click it, click Properties to check the error messages.

Warning 1202:

For the SceCli 1202 error, I am wondering if you have followed the steps
in the event to find out the problem account. This issue is caused by an
unresolved account in policies. You may refer to the following article to
find and remove it:
324383:Troubleshooting SCECLI 1202 Events
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324383

In addition, have you tried my steps to clear the event 1030?

I will be here waiting for your updates. Please feel free to let me know.

From: Wael on
Hi Charles,

I forgot to mention that for error 1030, the error is usually for
mydomain\administrator. It is never for any other user. I don't know if
this tells us anything.

Thanks