From: "Charles Yang [MSFT]" on
HI Wael,

If this occurs only on special users, you might have to check the user's
permission for the sysvol folder on SBS server.

You might have to recreate a user's profiles for administrator to see if
this can be resolved.

Have you enabled roaming profiles for that administrator or folder
redirections.

Thanks for updates. Please post back as your convenience.

Best regards,

Charles Yang (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------

From: Wael on
Hi Charles,

The administrator account that I use and that is causing problem is the
default domain administrator ("administrator"). I don't think it is a
good idea to delete and recreate that (even though i have an emergency
administrator account).

I was wondering, is there a special diagnostic tool that I can run and
produce a report for you to take a look at?

I checked, the administrator has access to all the group policy folders
in the sysvol folder.

From: "Charles Yang [MSFT]" on
HI Wael,

Thanks for updates.

If the problem occurs on all the client computer not only on special
computer, it might be the user's profiles issue. most likely this user's AD
account is corrupted. I would suggest that we first reset the password for
this user in dsa.msc and check if the problem is resolved.

Usually 1030 will go together with event 1058, so could you send me the
detailed application log and system event log so that we can check your log
more detailed.

My email is v-chayan(a)microsoft.com
We do have some log files that can be enable to monitor SBS 2003 user
logon. You can refer to the article below:

186454 How to Enable User Environment Event Logging in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=186454

Hope the above information helpful, please feel free to post back.

From: "Charles Yang [MSFT]" on
HI Wael,

After checking your log files, I found that only 1030 occurs on your SBS
2003, it should be caused by the wrong cached credential is not correct.
You can refer to my suggestions below as a test.

I. You can configure this security setting by opening the appropriate
policy and expanding the console tree as such: Computer
Configuration\Windows
Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options Network access:
Do not allow storage of credentials or .NET Passports for network
authentication

II. Following Registry value removes the "Remember My Password" option from
all prompts for authentication:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
Value Name: disabledomaincreds
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Values: 0 = allow domain credentials to be stored
1 = do not store domain credentials
Set the disabledomaincreds value to "0" to restore the "Remember My
Password" checkbox on the prompt for authentication.

III. Set Kerberos to use TCP

244474 How to force Kerberos to use TCP instead of UDP in Windows Server
2003,
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=244474

The steps #1 and #2 I introduced in my last reply are all used to delete
the store credential. The step #1 could be applied to group policy that
cover the SBS server such as domain controller policy and you will find the
policy below

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local
Policies\Security Options\Network access: Do not allow storage of
credentials or .NET Passports for network authentication

The step #2 is used registry key way. The "0" is the default value. When
you set this key to 1, to purge the original credential to clear the store
and restart the machine.

If you do not want the above steps, you could use the following way to
delete the cached credential directly.

1. On the SBS server open control panel

2. Open 'Stored User Names and Passwords'

3. Remove all entries in the list, as the problem could be caused by the
incorrect credential cached here.

If the problem could not be resolved, we may need to set the Kerberos to
TCP only, because of the following reasons.

The Windows Kerberos authentication package is the default authentication
package in Microsoft Windows Server 2003. By default, the maximum size of
datagram packets for which Windows Server 2003 uses UDP is 1,465 bytes.
Depending on a variety of factors including security identifier (SID)
history and group membership, some accounts will have larger Kerberos
authentication packet sizes. Depending on hardware of your SBS network,
these larger packets may have to be fragmented when going through. The
problem is caused by fragmentation of these large UDP Kerberos packets.
Because UDP is a connectionless protocol, fragmented UDP packets will be
dropped if they arrive at the destination out of order.

Then, this issue could be occur that you logon to the SBS server remotely,
and the UDP package is dropped at this situation. So, we could set the
Kerberos to use TCP only, as Kerberos is designed to work under both UDP
and TCP.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to let me
know. Thanks for your time and I look forward to your reply.

> [...]

--------------------
| From: v-chayan(a)online.microsoft.com ("Charles Yang [MSFT]")
| Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 06:59:14 GMT
| Subject: Re: Error 1030
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
|
| HI Wael,
|
| Thanks for updates.
|
| If the problem occurs on all the client computer not only on special
| computer, it might be the user's profiles issue. most likely this user's
AD
| account is corrupted. I would suggest that we first reset the password
for
| this user in dsa.msc and check if the problem is resolved.
|
| Usually 1030 will go together with event 1058, so could you send me the
| detailed application log and system event log so that we can check your
log
| more detailed.
|
| My email is v-chayan(a)microsoft.com
| We do have some log files that can be enable to monitor SBS 2003 user
| logon. You can refer to the article below:
|
| 186454 How to Enable User Environment Event Logging in Windows 2000
| http://support.microsoft.com/?id=186454
|
| Hope the above information helpful, please feel free to post back.
|

| Best regards,
|
| Charles Yang (MSFT)
|
| Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
|
| ======================================================
| This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. If you have issues
| regarding other Microsoft products, you'd better post in the
corresponding
| newsgroups so that they can be resolved in an efficient and timely
manner.
| You can locate the newsgroup here:
| http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx
|
| When opening a new thread via the web interface, we recommend you check
the
| "Notify me of replies" box to receive e-mail notifications when there are
| any updates in your thread. When responding to posts via your newsreader,
| please "Reply to Group" so that others may learn and benefit from your
| issue.
|
| Microsoft engineers can only focus on one issue per thread. Although we
| provide other information for your reference, we recommend you post
| different incidents in different threads to keep the thread clean. In
doing
| so, it will ensure your issues are resolved in a timely manner.
|
| For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft CSS directly. Please
| check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
|
| Any input or comments in this thread are highly appreciated.
| ======================================================
rights.

| =====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.g

iganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!postnews.google.com!g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.c
| om!not-for-mail
| |
| | Hi Charles,
| |
| | The administrator account that I use and that is causing problem is the
| | default domain administrator ("administrator"). I don't think it is a
| | good idea to delete and recreate that (even though i have an emergency
| | administrator account).
| |
| | I was wondering, is there a special diagnostic tool that I can run and
| | produce a report for you to take a look at?
| |
| | I checked, the administrator has access to all the group policy folders
| | in the sysvol folder.
| |
| |

From: Wael on
Hi Charles,

The problem is finally resolved after following your previous
recommendations. The question now is, do I keep those settings for
good? I know that for VPN, I have to.

Thanks for your help.
Wael