From: Nix on
On 19 Dec 2008, Dave Liquorice verbalised:

> On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 17:57:01 +0000, Ian Rawlings wrote:
>
>> Certainly, but there are people taking hints from this thread so best
>> watch ourselves ;-)
>
> Aye, I'm going to play with rsync on my OS/2 workstation machine

!

How do you keep that thing secure? (I suppose it gets some security from
the fact that nobody will be trying attacks against OS/2 systems
anymore...)

I abandoned OS/2 twelve years ago when it became obvious it was dying.
Isn't it completely dead by now?

--
`We must stand together and fight for our shared cultural heritage as a
group of people who cannot stand together to fight for our shared
From: Dave Liquorice on
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 15:15:11 +0000, Nix wrote:

> How do you keep that thing secure? (I suppose it gets some security from
> the fact that nobody will be trying attacks against OS/2 systems
> anymore...)

Well to all practical purposes there are no nasties out there for OS/2. It
sits in a NAT'd private LAN with no external traffic allowed in (apart
from stuff iniated inside of course...). Both my mail host and my server
scans for nasties on all incoming mail. I don't frequent dubious web sites
or use P2P.

> I abandoned OS/2 twelve years ago when it became obvious it was dying.
> Isn't it completely dead by now?

Not here, it works is stable and does what I want, without all the
annoying little things of windoze. eComstation, the 3rd party version of
desktop OS/2 is alive and well.

--
Cheers
Dave.

From: Nix on
On 21 Dec 2008, Dave Liquorice stated:

> Both my mail host and my server
> scans for nasties on all incoming mail. I don't frequent dubious web sites

Don't you mean you *can't*? What e.g. web browser do you use? (Firefox across
an X connection or something like that?)

From: Martin Gregorie on
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 15:13:20 +0000, Nix wrote:

> I'd like to do something similar to this, only keeping it shut down
> except when needed. I haven't paid any attention to hardware for nearly
> a decade so I have no idea if this is possible, but is there a way to
> automatically cut/restore power to something like this under software
> control? (I know I could do it with a wall timer, but that can't be told
> to turn *off* at the right time, so either it'll run for too long or cut
> power in the middle of a backup!)

I'd suggest that this is an ideal use for 2.5" laptop drives, since they
are built for a low daily duty cycle and the expectation of a lot of head
take-offs and landings. It would be interesting to know what the spun-
down current consumption of that type of USB drive is too. It should be
under 3 watts spun up if it obeys the USB 2.0 rules.

My 3.5" 120 GB WD unit looks bulky enough to contain a desktop drive and
is powered by an external power brick. My backup script explicitly mounts
the drive, does the backup and unmounts it. When the USB drive is mounted
it spins up. If it isn't mounted it times out after a few minutes and
spins down.

Since days can go by between console logins, which of course force an
automount and spin up, the drive is spun up for no more than 90 minutes
per day. Of course the drive's power brick and its chassis electronics
are powered up full time: I haven't thought of a way round that, though I
suppose I could have used a timer socket so its only powered for 2-3
hours each night.

I have never measured its wattage in idle and spun up states, so can't
comment about power use, but at least drive wear should be minimised
apart from head take-offs and landings. Its been operating this way since
autumn 2005 with no sign of distress so far.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Theo Markettos on
Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:
> I'd like to do something similar to this, only keeping it shut down
> except when needed. I haven't paid any attention to hardware for nearly
> a decade so I have no idea if this is possible, but is there a way to
> automatically cut/restore power to something like this under software
> control? (I know I could do it with a wall timer, but that can't be told
> to turn *off* at the right time, so either it'll run for too long or
> cut power in the middle of a backup!)

I think if you have an internal drive or an external SATA drive you can set
it to spin down as required. If you have a drive in a USB case, most cases
(ie the bridge chips) don't seem to pass through the spindown commands. The
downside is that things keep spinning it back up again. noflushd helps, but
I haven't succeeded it getting the thing to stay quiet all the time.
Probably it would help if I dismounted it.

I've been wondering about this server-wide... whether I can force the power
switch line on the ATX PSU to forcibly switch it on or off. Should be
feasible, I think (simple optoisolator to standby power or ground). I don't
know if anyone makes switched DC outputs, but either a relay card or an
external relay switched by a parallel port pin should be enough to switch
the DC power to an external drive.

Theo
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9