From: MMP57 on
My backup tool (Outlook 2003, Windows XP Home SP3) is programmed to perform a
daily backup of (a) Personal Folders (outlook backup.pst) and (b) Archives
(archive backup.pst). And it has been doing so for years without a problem.

However, as of late, and without any software/hardware changes in my PC,
when I close down Outlook 2003 for the day the backup window comes up, but
the only file "offered" for backup is "Archive." The Personal Folders file
(i.e., the main one) is not backed up.

Again, no changes in my PC that would justify this. Outlook doesn't hang
after closing. And, although there are add-ins (Skylook, Outlook Connector,
Copy2Contact), they have been in place for years without encountring this
problem. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the backup tool, to no avail.
From: wandong on
You can try a tool called Advanced Outlook Repair. You can download a free demo version at http://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe . I think it is a useful repair tool for you. It is easy to recover your PST file by using its wizard. It is a powerful tool to recover messages, folders and other objects from corrupt or damaged Microsoft Outlook PST files.

Detailed information about Advanced Outlook Repair can be found at http://www.datanumen.com/aor/
.
Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com
From: MMP57 on
Thanks. I downloaded the tool and tried to repair the outlook.pst file twice.
In both instances, the repair process stopped at 66% and then the Advanced
Outlook Repair tool hung and stopped responding.