From: RobV on
Andy wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:54:22 -0800, "Kent_Diego" <None(a)no.way> wrote:
>
>>> I was hoping to see a BIOS chip socket but no luck! Not sure which
>>> chip. I can do simple soldering but the chips on the motherboard
>>> have very small leads. There is no way I going to get the chip out.
>>> I am hoping option 3 below involves sending the entire motherboard
>>> back to ASUS for repair. ...
>>
>> OK, I am sure is see the EEPROM chip. It is a little 8-pin DIP
>> between the ICH8R southbridge and the last PCI slot. It has part
>> number X80VIG and seems to have marker ink X or A written across
>> top. It has an undocumented 7-pin connector by it labled J1_SPI. I
>> guess a small 8-pin chip could be within my soldering abilities. I
>> seem to recall even old cheap motherboards had sockets for the
>> EEPROM chip. I wish the ASUS would have indicated the chip location
>> in the manual. Maybe I can get out of this for $5.00 I will keep
>> everyone posted to progress.
>>
> Page 2-3. It says SPI BIOS.

Not in the P5B-Plus manual (version E3077 [the newest AFAIK]), which is
the MB being discussed. Perhaps in other P5 series manuals.

From: John on
I am guessing the "X" means the BIOS chip has been returned from someone
else (probably me) and reflashed with a new BIOS.

The chip pops out with the edge of a knife at a corner. It is reinsertable,
which may be a problem on rare occasions.

John

From: JB on
Kent_Diego wrote:
> Hi All,
> I tried to upgrade my BIOS using the latest version of ASUS Update
> on Vista x64 system. The first try erased present BIOS and flashed 100%. The
> checksum verification failed at 0% as seemed unable to read from
> motherboard. The status screen instructions said to try again. So I tried
> again and erase said 100% but nothing else happened. No matter how many
> times I clicked. On re-boot motherboard is dead. PS and fans come on but
> nothing else happens.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

Clear the CMOS.