From: MrSoftware on
I pulled up the following MS site via IE 8 - Version 8.0.6001.18702 - Build
86001.

https://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

I received the error message:

There is a problem with this website's security certificate

The problem is I had just 'updated' my Microsoft Trust Certificate
via the process.

1. In Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs
2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
3. Select the Update Root Certificates check box.
4. Click Next, and then click Finish.

So I have the following questions.

[1] Is there another (better) tool to view and update Microsoft Trust
Certificates?
[2] Is https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com a valid Microsoft site?
[3] Is https://v3.windowsupdate.microsoft.com a valid Microsoft site?
[4] Is https://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com a valid Microsoft site?

If the Sites above are valid is there a Microsoft web page that explains the
difference?

The certificate for the following website seemed OK - and the website
installed the WUWEB active X control.

https://v3.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Thanks so much ahead of time.

After scouring the Internet I think I'm not alone with the above issue.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or
newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

Assuming some flavor of Vista or Win7, why are you opening IE to
https://windowsupdate.microsoft.com in the first place?

From: MrSoftware on
OS: Windows XP
Version: 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3