From: AnselmC1191 on
go to your updates page and click on update history. then you can double
click on one of your failed updates and see if the error code is 80073712. if
it is then you need to delete a file from your old windows verision. the way
to do this is to open command prompt as admin.
1. click on start, go to all programs, click on accessories, and right click
on command prompt and go to run as admin.
2. type in takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml
or it could be takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml.bad
3. It should then say success and will say it is now owned by you.
4. Now type in del C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml
if it says access denied then you have to manually obtain full control of
the file by
1. go to my computer and click on your C: drive
2. open the windows file, then the winsxs file.
3. Scroll all the way down and right click on the pending.xml file. go to
properties and click on the security tab. now click on edit and click on
your username or admin or both and at the bottom click on the allow box by
the full control option.
4. click apply and then click ok
5. now go to the command prompt again and type in del
C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml
6. It should now be deleted and you should then reboot and see if you can do
updates now. :)