From: MrSoftware on
[1] I'm using (a) 'MS Windows Security Essentials' (MS-WSE) and (b) MS
Windows Firewall.

I normally run ZoneAlarm (firewall) and AVG (Virus checker) but uninstalled
them for the above MS solutions inorder to fix some problems with MS
(MicroSoft) WU (Windows Update).

The whole system was scanned (via MS-WSE) just before I started to get some
problems with MS WU.

From: MrSoftware on

[1] Tested system via 'Microsoft Genuine Advantage – Diagnostic Site'
(MGA-DS) at url;

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

(a) And it installed the 'Validation Self-help ActiveX loaded'
(b) All the tests from the MGA-DS ran and passed except for...
(c) The 'Windows validation ActiveX loaded' test never completed (over 14
minuets and still no complete)
(d) I shutdown the machine, rebooted, and re-ran the test.
(e) The 'Windows validation ActiveX loaded' test never completed (over 14
minuets and still no complete)

The XP OS is 'genuine' and has gone through other 'genuine' tests before -
no problem.

From: MrSoftware on
Note : I still do not seem to have the WuWeb ActiveX control coming up in the
IE 8 'Manage Addons' list.

I hope I am understanding the 'Manage Addons' list correctly.
I see the newly installed 'SelfHelpControl.DLL' (MS Genuine Advantage SS
tool).

But I do not see the 'WuWeb' ActiveX control.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Repost: Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
it)?

So the Windows Update problem started when you had AVG installed: What
exactly was the problem (e.g., 0x8DDD0004 or other errors) and did you ever
get it resolved?

Are you having any other problems (e.g., search redirects; "Page cannot be
displayed" errors; cannot open Task Manager, Regedit, or Internet Options)?

Is Automatic Updates enabled? If not, can you enable it, reboot, and then
find it's still enabled?

Is *Microsoft* Security Essentials automatically updating itself at least
one every 24 hours?

Can you access & update manually via http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com (not
any other link)? [I know you may have answered this in another thread but
I'd like you to answer it in this thread, too.]

Have you tried doing a Reset yet? => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
[Tip: Run the Fix It in Default and Aggressive modes, if necessary.]
--
~PA Bear

From: williamtell on
Try this:
Click tools>internet options>general tab/settings>yiew objects
Do you see/ WUWebControlClass?