From: MrSoftware on
[1] I will try the manual fixes mentioned in KB 971058 tomorrow afternoon
(USA CST) and post the results.

Note the manual fixes are only recommended after the 'agressive' mode of
FixIt 50202 fails (which happened to me).

From: MrSoftware on
[1] Thank you for the clarification of 'Windows update' (WU) vs 'Microsoft
Update' (MU).

[2] When I first looked into this I tried every 'Manage Addons' drop down
possible.
The 'all addons' does not list the MUWeb control.

[3] I do get one 'update' kind of ActiveX control listed in 'all addons'
which is;

Update Class - Microsoft Windows XP Publisher - 5.4.3790.14 - Active X Control

Its (a) dated 8/23/2003 and (b) I have no idea what this ActiveX is (part of
WU/MU??).

From: MrSoftware on
[1] Then WU (Windows Update) and MU (Microsoft Update) currently coexist?

From: williamtell on
Oh well, had an itch!

From: MrSoftware on
I was able to try the fix below a little earlier than expected.

Note below - I call 1.a and 1.b 'lobotomies' for the sake of brevity herein.

[1] MS KB 971058 has 4 'fixes' as follows.

(a) FixIt 50202 - Mode default
(b) FixIt 50202 - Mode agressive
(c) WU minor lobotomy - Without 'step 4'
(d) WU major lobotomy - With 'step 4' (reset BITS and WUAU security
descriptors)

[2] I tryed 1.a and 1.b previously - both failed.

[3] I tryed 1.c and that failed with some anomalies as follows.

mshtml.dll Missing entry point - not registered
wucltux.dll Not found - Verified as not in my XP system
wuwebv.dll Not found - Verified as not in my XP system

The identity verification info for mshtml.dll (that is on my system is)

MD5 = 7054f6adc9b670887659f1561603b0d0
Sha1 = 2a2ecfb4f15e6f9f0a743726c08bc158833634da
Sha512 =
0250c4efa46796e94d0b8bc6b7ad24d4a08b9a08a7f316c3977e76476bc6774d69d18e6cbfceb6d7ade048be6fa5e59954e053e366c2fdd70262d4ab879d430b

Size = 5,806 KB
Date = 2/25/1010 - 1:24 am
Version = 8.0.6001.18904

I used Nirsoft's dll tool - DLL Export Viewer and verified the DLL is
missing an entry point for registration.

[4] I'll post the DLL export list after this post.

[5] I'll try the 'WU major lobotomy' after I do [4] above.