From: williamtell on
BTW,

Windows Update is no more, Microsoft Update is the site now. The add on is
MUWebControlClass, when at Manage Add-ons, click the dropdown>click all
add-ons,
Do you see the MU control?

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
williamtell wrote:
> BTW, Windows Update is no more, Microsoft Update is the site now.

Sorry, Tell, but your arrow missed the apple this time...

<QP>
What are the differences between Windows Updates, Automatic Updates, and
Microsoft Updates?

While Windows Update provides you with updates specifically for Windows,
Microsoft Update expands the service to download and install updates for
other Microsoft software, such as Microsoft Office and Windows Live.
Automatic updating is a feature that allows you to set your PC to
automatically download and install updates using either service, making it
easy and convenient for you to keep your Windows PC current.
</QP>
Source: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/windowsupdate/FAQ.mspx

From: MrSoftware on
[1] Niether Norton or McAffee was ever on this computer.

[2] Had no problems with AVG. WU problems started with just the MS security
products (a) MS Windows Security Essentials and (b) MS firewall.

[3] The problems depends on the MS WU site accessed. I get (a) a blank MS WU
page or (b) error code 0x8DDD0004.

[4] No other problems other than MS WU.

[5] MS WUAU (..Automatic Updates) is enabled.

[6] MS Security Essentials seems to update itself OK.

[7] MS Wu site http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com is a blank page.

[8] Have not tried the Fixit you mentioned. Will try and post after this.

From: MrSoftware on
[1] I tried MS Fixit 50202 - Reset WU components - in both (a) default (b)
agressive mode.

Neither mode worked to fix the problem.

I go to the primary MS WU site (www.windowsupdate.microsoft.com) and come up
with a blank page.

From: MrSoftware on
[1] Yes.

(a) I did as you instruct and the WuWebControlClass comes up fine.

(b) Previously I checked the directory;

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files

and the MUWebControClass was always there.
ID is {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3}.
Version is 7.4.7600.226

[2] The muweb.dll is in directory C:\Windows

[3] The wuweb.dll is in directories (a) C:\Windows\system32 and (b)
C:\Windows\system32\dllcache

The DLL versions are correct (7.4.7600.226) but that is meaning less since
MS has no 'component verifier' to scan a software device (multiple *.exe and
*.dll) files with multiple hash codes (including partial file section scans).