From: John Oliver on
I'm working on virtualizing an old Red Hat 7.3 box. I replicated the
contents of the physical machine to the virtual disk, built a kernel
with the right drivers, and can boot the virtual machine. But I get:

(Repair filesystem) 1 # fsck /dev/sda1
fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
e2fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda1

filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

dumpe2fs says:

dumpe2fs 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
dumpe2fs: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda1
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

If I look at the virtual disk from a Ubuntu LiveCD, it's fine... fsck
reports no problems. The filesystem is ext3, I can mount the virtual
disk, chroot into it, edit files, do whatever.

Ideas?

From: olrbengax on
On Sep 18, 5:54 pm, John Oliver <joli...(a)john-oliver.net> wrote:
> I'm working on virtualizing an old Red Hat 7.3 box. I replicated the
> contents of the physical machine to the virtual disk, built a kernel
> with the right drivers, and can boot the virtual machine. But I get:
>
> (Repair filesystem) 1 # fsck /dev/sda1
> fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
> e2fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
> fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda1
>
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
> filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
> is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
> superblock:
> e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>
> dumpe2fs says:
>
> dumpe2fs 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
> dumpe2fs: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda1
> Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.
>
> If I look at the virtual disk from a Ubuntu LiveCD, it's fine... fsck
> reports no problems. The filesystem is ext3, I can mount the virtual
> disk, chroot into it, edit files, do whatever.
>
> Ideas?
>
> --
> * John Oliver http://www.john-oliver.net/*

If fsck is saying no such file or directory when its trying to open
it, it sounds like /dev/sda1 may not the device name of the drive. I
don't know much about RH 7.3, but maybe it sees the virtual disk as
something other than sda1. Can you maybe try to boot into rescue mode
or something from the RH 7.3 install ISO? You might be able to play
around and figure out what RH 7.3 is seeing the drive as. I assume
that you do have the right drivers for VMware's virtual harddrive
adapter built into the kernel, right?

From: Martin Klar on
John Oliver schrieb:
> I'm working on virtualizing an old Red Hat 7.3 box. I replicated the
> contents of the physical machine to the virtual disk, built a kernel
> with the right drivers, and can boot the virtual machine. But I get:
>
> (Repair filesystem) 1 # fsck /dev/sda1
> fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
> e2fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
> fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda1

> If I look at the virtual disk from a Ubuntu LiveCD, it's fine... fsck
> reports no problems. The filesystem is ext3, I can mount the virtual
> disk, chroot into it, edit files, do whatever.

Did you consider that device names may change under virtualization?
/dev/sda1 from a LiveCD is different to /dev/sda1 from inside a virtual
machine. So try fdisk -l to see your partition setup.

HTH Martin
From: John Oliver on
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 03:15:24 -0000, olrbengax(a)gmail.com wrote:
> If fsck is saying no such file or directory when its trying to open
> it, it sounds like /dev/sda1 may not the device name of the drive. I
> don't know much about RH 7.3, but maybe it sees the virtual disk as
> something other than sda1. Can you maybe try to boot into rescue mode
> or something from the RH 7.3 install ISO? You might be able to play
> around and figure out what RH 7.3 is seeing the drive as. I assume
> that you do have the right drivers for VMware's virtual harddrive
> adapter built into the kernel, right?

Yes, I have the correct drivers.

And in both cases, the appropriate Red Hat CD booted to Linux mode sees
and mounts /dev/sda1 In both cases, there are two partitions...
/dev/sda1 as ext2/ext3 and /dev/sda2 for swap.

Ubuntu can boot and see the filesystems just fine. The Red Hat CDs can
boot and see the filesystems just fine. But the kernels on the virtual
disks cannot. I am completely stumped. I've built new kernels,
recompiled kernels with anything that looked like it might help...
during booting, I can see the FusionMPT driver load, the virtual SCSI
adapter detected, the virtual disk detected, the partitions on the
virtual disk recognized... but that's as far as I can get.

From: Scott Lurndal on
John Oliver <joliver(a)john-oliver.net> writes:
>I'm working on virtualizing an old Red Hat 7.3 box. I replicated the
>contents of the physical machine to the virtual disk, built a kernel
>with the right drivers, and can boot the virtual machine. But I get:

Virtualizing with what? VMware server? VMware workstation? VMware ESX?
Parallels? Xen? VirtualBox? Bochs?

>(Repair filesystem) 1 # fsck /dev/sda1
>fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
>e2fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
>fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda1

Both of your error messages indicate that there is no device
matching /dev/sda1. Your virtualization solution may be providing
an IDE emulation, use

$ cat /proc/partitions

to get the list of available devices.

Or else sda1 is just missing from /dev.