From: Rehceb Rotkiv on
(and getting on my nerves with it.. ;)

When my system is idle, my SATA hard disk makes a little noise quite
exactly every 1st and 3rd second of every 5 seconds. "dstat" reveals that
there is indeed a disk write every 5 seconds. Maybe the other noise at
the 3rd second is from the moving back of the disk head after the write
(?). Anyway, I want to find out the process that is causing the disk
activity. Does anyone know of a monitoring tool for this purpose -- or
can identify the noise-maker right away? I'm pretty sure it's a system
process like pdflush that just needs a little tuning...

Thx,
Rehceb
From: Laszlo Lebrun on
Rehceb Rotkiv wrote:
> (and getting on my nerves with it.. ;)
>
> When my system is idle, my SATA hard disk makes a little noise quite
> exactly every 1st and 3rd second of every 5 seconds. "dstat" reveals
> that there is indeed a disk write every 5 seconds. Maybe the other
> noise at the 3rd second is from the moving back of the disk head
> after the write (?).
It would help, if you mention, which file system you have been using.
Probably a journalling one?

From: Rehceb Rotkiv on
> It would help, if you mention, which file system you have been using.
> Probably a journalling one?

Yes, sorry, I'm using reiserfs with a 2.6.17 kernel.
From: Snowbat on
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 14:52:40 -0600, Rehceb Rotkiv wrote:

> SATA

> Anyway, I want to find out the process that is causing the disk
> activity. Does anyone know of a monitoring tool for this purpose

lsof /dev/sdXX

I don't see a 'wait around for more input' option but there's always
script (writing to a different partition):

#!/bin/bash
touch lsofdump1.txt
while true
do
lsof /dev/sda7 > lsofdump2.txt
diff lsofdump1.txt lsofdump2.txt
mv lsofdump2.txt lsofdump1.txt
done
exit 0

From: Unruh on
Snowbat <snowbat(a)geocities.com> writes:

>On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 14:52:40 -0600, Rehceb Rotkiv wrote:

>> SATA

>> Anyway, I want to find out the process that is causing the disk
>> activity. Does anyone know of a monitoring tool for this purpose

>lsof /dev/sdXX

>I don't see a 'wait around for more input' option but there's always
>script (writing to a different partition):

>#!/bin/bash
>touch lsofdump1.txt
>while true
>do
> lsof /dev/sda7 > lsofdump2.txt
> diff lsofdump1.txt lsofdump2.txt
> mv lsofdump2.txt lsofdump1.txt
>done
>exit 0

Or
find /var -mtime -1 -ls
and look at the mod time on the output of ls.
This prints out all files in /var which have changed in the past day and
prints out the time which willshow which changed in the past 5 min.

It is probably a write.
Note that this will not detect reads. Eg, you could have a program ( like
postfix) which looks to see if mail has been stored on the disk for later
delivery.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: sshd failure