From: Rehceb Rotkiv on
> How do you have "/dev" mounted? (I haven't really looked.) UDEV may be
> treating it as a virtual filesystem, in memory only.

In my /etc/mtab it says:

udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)

You do the interpreting, please ;)
From: Tommy Reynolds on
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:21:39 -0500, Rehceb Rotkiv wrote:

>> How do you have "/dev" mounted? (I haven't really looked.) UDEV may be
>> treating it as a virtual filesystem, in memory only.
> In my /etc/mtab it says:
> udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
> You do the interpreting, please ;)

OK.

"udev" is the filesystem name.
It is accessable via the "/dev" naming prefix.
It is implemented using the "tmpfs" filesystem, kind of a fancy RAMDISK.
The filesystem is mounted "rw", or read/write mode, with the 0755
permissions.

Yup, it's a virtual filesystem. Nope, "tmpfs" doesn't understand
"noatime".

Cheers
From: Rehceb Rotkiv on
> Yup, it's a virtual filesystem. Nope, "tmpfs" doesn't understand
> "noatime".

Well, ok, maybe I'll just use a combination of a slightly lower writeback
frequency specified in /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs and all
non-/dev-filesystems mounted with 'noatime'. And perhaps it's no all that
bad to know when exactly a terminal received the last keypress, could
prove useful one day ;)
Thanks for your great help!

Rehceb
First  |  Prev  |