From: Theo Markettos on

I'm looking for a replacement for a Nokia BL-5C battery (very common type).
I wandered over to eBay, and there are loads but most of them aren't
original. Some are claiming to have higher capacity than the standard
batteries (1300 v 850 mAh).

Are these aftermarket batteries any good? My only experience is using one
supplied with a Chinese phone (which was the same form factor but wasn't
sold as Nokia-compatible), which made the Nokia show 'Test Mode' and not do
anything else.

Thanks
Theo
From: Mr. Benn on
"Theo Markettos" <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message

> I'm looking for a replacement for a Nokia BL-5C battery (very common
> type).
> I wandered over to eBay, and there are loads but most of them aren't
> original. Some are claiming to have higher capacity than the standard
> batteries (1300 v 850 mAh).
>
> Are these aftermarket batteries any good? My only experience is using one
> supplied with a Chinese phone (which was the same form factor but wasn't
> sold as Nokia-compatible), which made the Nokia show 'Test Mode' and not
> do
> anything else.
>
> Thanks
> Theo

7dayshop.com are a good source of non OEM phone & camera batteries. No idea
how good they are.

From: Old Codger on
Mr. Benn wrote:
> "Theo Markettos" <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> I'm looking for a replacement for a Nokia BL-5C battery (very common
>> type).
>> I wandered over to eBay, and there are loads but most of them aren't
>> original. Some are claiming to have higher capacity than the standard
>> batteries (1300 v 850 mAh).
>>
>> Are these aftermarket batteries any good? My only experience is using
>> one
>> supplied with a Chinese phone (which was the same form factor but wasn't
>> sold as Nokia-compatible), which made the Nokia show 'Test Mode' and
>> not do
>> anything else.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Theo
>
> 7dayshop.com are a good source of non OEM phone & camera batteries. No
> idea how good they are.

I have used their camera batteries, they are fine.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

From: laurie_dunkley on
On 26 May, 00:46, Theo Markettos <theom+n...(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:
> I'm looking for a replacement for a Nokia BL-5C battery (very common type).
> I wandered over to eBay, and there are loads but most of them aren't
> original.  Some are claiming to have higher capacity than the standard
> batteries (1300 v 850 mAh).
>
> Are these aftermarket batteries any good?  My only experience is using one
> supplied with a Chinese phone (which was the same form factor but wasn't
> sold as Nokia-compatible), which made the Nokia show 'Test Mode' and not do
> anything else.
>
> Thanks
> Theo

I have found http://www.battery-megastore.co.uk/ able to provide at
reasonable prices
From: Lobster on
Theo Markettos wrote:
> I'm looking for a replacement for a Nokia BL-5C battery (very common type).
> I wandered over to eBay, and there are loads but most of them aren't
> original. Some are claiming to have higher capacity than the standard
> batteries (1300 v 850 mAh).
>
> Are these aftermarket batteries any good?

I've bought a couple off ebay for peanuts, and both were unmitigated
rubbish (ie they worked, but the capacity was only marginally higher
than the clapped-out originals I had bought them to replace). Even
buying purportedly genuine ones is very risky as they are huge numbers
of fakes.

David