From: Maxim S. Shatskih on
> Is "Driver key" or "Device Instance Path" unique for every single
> device? Are they "un-spoofable" by the hardware manufacturer or by
> someone using the hardware? I want an ID that the hardware
> manufacturer cannot duplicate

Usually, USB serial numbers are really unique, but, if the HW vendor wants - they can duplicate them.

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP

From: Don Burn on
Well the normal approach for this is to go to one of the many firms that
offer solutions for copy protection. If you want to roll your own, you
are in for a challenging time, about the best you can do is require a
USB key from a reputable vendor that has serial numbers. Yes in theory
someone can reprogram the key, but at some point you have to ask is it
worth protecting against.

Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD)
Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting
Website: http://www.windrvr.com
Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr

From: Maxim S. Shatskih on
>How do I make a software work only with "authorised" devices?

If you want to protect against _device vendor_ - then sorry, the task is unsolvable.

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP

From: Maxim S. Shatskih on
>Can you tell me if USB serial numbers are written by the manufacturer
>and can be anything?

Yes. Any string with some length limit.

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP

From: Maxim S. Shatskih on
>For USB device, you would have to 'fingerprint' them in some ways.

Most (but not all) USB devices, except keyboards and mice, have the unique ID in them.

Surely there are major exceptions from this rule, even Wi-Fi adapters which have the unique MAC (as any Ethernet) but _do not have the USB-level unique ID_.

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP