From: Rob on
On 24/05/2010 7:05 AM, me here wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>
>> Have a Belkin N+ Wireless Router Modem.
>>
>> When using FTP client software - any - I can logon the the FTP site

> Try it with the firewall turned off.
>
> Maybe your new hardware has a different address.

I have turned the firewall off on the router no difference and
previously didn't have a firewall problem with my old router/modem
setup. Same result with W7 and XP OS off the same router.
From: Rob on
On 24/05/2010 12:14 AM, Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF > wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>> Have a Belkin N+ Wireless Router Modem.
>>
>> When using FTP client software - any - I can logon the the FTP site but
>> can't see the folders or files with my PC which is on W7 or an XP
>> machine. which brings me back to the common link which is the Router
>> settings. It was OK with my old modem BTW
>
> So you're saying that when you use the ftp command to connect to a site
> and issue the "dir" command, nothing at all is displayed or there are
> just no files and directories displayed?

Yep

>> I can see all the folders from a mates PC through his router (DLink)
>> setup.
>
> Same ftp site and same login account?

Yes

>> Is there a particular setting in the router/modem that I should be using
>> that's stopping this working.
>
> No.
>
>> All the router setting are on default.
>>
>> So I've eliminated the OS, a problem with the server, which brings me
>> back to the Router settings. Could it be a firewall setting in the
>> Router??
>> below is the log which is the common result off 3 FTP client software
>> Filezilla, ipswitch, cute FTP
>
> So you haven't actually used the ftp command itself?

been logging in through ftp software.

>> > Error: Connection timed out
>> > Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing
>
> Its an ftp problem, based on that last line.

the only thing I see on my modem is Block ICMP Ping which is ticked.

Turned the firewall off no change.

Setup a DMZ no change.

From: Sandgroper on

"Rob" <mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Have a Belkin N+ Wireless Router Modem.
>
> When using FTP client software - any - I can logon the the FTP site but
> can't see the folders or files with my PC which is on W7 or an XP machine.
> which brings me back to the common link which is the Router settings. It
> was OK with my old modem BTW
>
> I can see all the folders from a mates PC through his router (DLink)
> setup.
>
> Is there a particular setting in the router/modem that I should be using
> that's stopping this working.
>
> All the router setting are on default.
>
> So I've eliminated the OS, a problem with the server, which brings me back
> to the Router settings. Could it be a firewall setting in the Router??
>
> Suggestions welcome
>
> thanks.

> below is the log which is the common result off 3 FTP client software
> Filezilla, ipswitch, cute FTP

> > Error: Connection timed out
> > Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

You are connecting and logging on but get booted with a time out message
means that the transfer mode hasn't been set properly.
Use Filezilla ( it is better anyway ) and go to Edit ....
Settings....Connection ..... FTP , then set Transfer mode to Passive and
check the checkbox for "Allow Fallback To Other Transfer Modes On Failure"

Then on the FTP ..... Passive Mode entry listing select the radio button for
"Fall Back To Active Mode"

--

Sandgroper
Save planet Earth !

From: Sandgroper on

>> You are connecting and logging on but get booted with a time out message
>> means that the transfer mode hasn't been set properly.
>> Use Filezilla ( it is better anyway ) and go to Edit ....
>> Settings....Connection ..... FTP , then set Transfer mode to Passive and
>> check the checkbox for "Allow Fallback To Other Transfer Modes On
>> Failure"
>
> There is no check box for fall back.
>

>> Then on the FTP ..... Passive Mode entry listing select the radio button
>> for
>> "Fall Back To Active Mode"
>>

> Tried again with Filezilla. new log as follows. using normal as login.

> Error: Connection timed out
> Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

OK , go into Filezilla's FTP .... Active Mode : Select "Ask your operating
system for the external IP address"

If that doesn't work , then go into the FTP settings and change the Transfer
Mode from Passive to Active.

From: Rob on
On 24/05/2010 1:06 PM, Sandgroper wrote:
> "Rob"<mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > There is no check box for fall back.

No not working either.