From: Mike Rofone on
I'm looking at getting an external HDD. There's Seagate and Western Digital.
What's the best one to get?

From: Rod Speed on
Mike Rofone wrote:
> I'm looking at getting an external HDD. There's Seagate
> and Western Digital. What's the best one to get?

Samsung.

Seagates get rather hotter and thats very undesirable in an external.

And they can be Maxtors too, they never did last long with externals.

WDs are currently seeing a problem with some clown deciding
that the price of gold is too high and so has gone to silver which
corrodes quite badly, particularly on the underside of the logic card.

From: Stubbo of Oz on
On Mon, 24 May 2010 13:46:25 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Mike Rofone wrote:
>> I'm looking at getting an external HDD. There's Seagate
>> and Western Digital. What's the best one to get?
>
>Samsung.
>
>Seagates get rather hotter and thats very undesirable in an external.
> Snip ....................

My external Seagate is only just warm - not hot at all.

--
----------------
Stubbo of Oz
From: Rob on
On 24/05/2010 12:28 PM, Mike Rofone wrote:
> I'm looking at getting an external HDD. There's Seagate and Western Digital.
> What's the best one to get?

What I have for one of my externals is a WD �AV� SATA 1TB this is a
24/7 HDD in a AStone case that has mesh sides an stands on its edge.

Have it plugged into my router/modem - BelkinN+ running 24/7 for
network LAN storage and access.

I also have a sata docking station which HDD's plug in and are open to
the air.

From: atec7 7 ""atec77" on
Mike Rofone wrote:
> I'm looking at getting an external HDD. There's Seagate and Western Digital.
> What's the best one to get?

I run several 1.5 and 2t seagates
they run cool with an external wall wart ( internal fans fitted)