From: Rod Speed on
Mike Rofone wrote
> Andy wrote...

>>> Yep.

>> Another vote for Samsung here.

> OK, so Samsung it is. What's a good recommendation for an enclosure,

I dont use enclosures anymore, I use HD docking stations instead, just
plug the bare drive in rather like plugging a very large USB stick in.

Not ideal for klutzes or with little kids/cats around tho.

My docking station has USB2 and esata, you can use whichever you like
ahd get much better speed with esata and better SMART access too.

From: Mike Rofone on
will s wrote...

> > OK, so Samsung it is. What's a good recommendation for an enclosure, one
> > with USB 2.0 (Firewire would be nice, too).

> I have a NexStar 3 and it has USB2 as well as esata
>
> But they have various connections on the back so check before buying

eSata - my new PC has one of these connectors. I'll check out the NexStar.

Thanks for that.

Hate to ask the obvious, but using eSata can you unplug it as per USB drives
while it's still powered up? Or do you have to do the "Safely Remove Hardware"
routine?

From: Rod Speed on
Mike Rofone wrote
> Rod Speed wrote..

>>> I think that I'll hang the expense and ressurect an old PC that I
>>> have here. It has a full tower case. I'll slot 4 new 2tb drives into
>>> it and configure them for RAID. It can sit in the corner and act as
>>> a file server.

>> Depending on how old it is, it may not support SATA drives.

> It has one of the first Asus boards that support RAID and has 4 SATA
> connectors. I'll use them for the RAID assembly and the standard IDE
> drives for the boot disk and DVD drive.

OK, should be fine. The power consumption wouldnt be ideal tho.