From: atec7 7 ""atec77" on
Rod Speed wrote:

>> On the hottest day my WD gets bloody hot as well
>
> My Samsungs dont.
liar liar pants and junk on fire

From: Mike Rofone on
will s wrote...

> btw: I have the WD External 1 TB and I also have a 500 gig Seagate in a Nex
> Star 3 enclosure that I purchased separately. This enclosure has the
> advantage of having an e-sata connection on it so if your machine has an
> esata connection then I would recommend purchasing an external Enclosure
> that has esata and you can whack whatever drive you like into it

Yeah, I considered that. But only one PC here has eSATA. The portable unit needs
to be operated off which computer needs it to back up or restore data or
whatever.

The Seagate and WD models that Officeworks sells appear to be USB only.

I've since read that the Seagates that OW sells have a problem called "the click
of death".

They start making clicking noises during read/write ops and soon after that they
fail, or could fail.

This reminds me of the Iomega ZIP drives that used to do this (but they were
mainly the parallel port models).

I might steer clear of those Seagates.

I think that I'll hang the expense and ressurect an old PC that I have here. It
has a full tower case. I'll slot 4 new 2tb drives into it and configure them for
RAID. It can sit in the corner and act as a file server. I'm upgrading the
network to gigabit specs soon anyway, so, throughput should be on par with USB2
anyway.
From: Rod Speed on
Mike Rofone wrote:
> will s wrote...
>
>> btw: I have the WD External 1 TB and I also have a 500 gig Seagate
>> in a Nex Star 3 enclosure that I purchased separately. This
>> enclosure has the advantage of having an e-sata connection on it so
>> if your machine has an esata connection then I would recommend
>> purchasing an external Enclosure that has esata and you can whack
>> whatever drive you like into it
>
> Yeah, I considered that. But only one PC here has eSATA. The portable
> unit needs to be operated off which computer needs it to back up or
> restore data or whatever.
>
> The Seagate and WD models that Officeworks sells appear to be USB
> only.
>
> I've since read that the Seagates that OW sells have a problem called
> "the click of death".
>
> They start making clicking noises during read/write ops and soon
> after that they fail, or could fail.
>
> This reminds me of the Iomega ZIP drives that used to do this (but
> they were mainly the parallel port models).
>
> I might steer clear of those Seagates.

> I think that I'll hang the expense and ressurect an old PC that I
> have here. It has a full tower case. I'll slot 4 new 2tb drives into
> it and configure them for RAID. It can sit in the corner and act as a
> file server.

Depending on how old it is, it may not support SATA drives.

From: Mike Rofone on
Andy wrote...

> >> you reckon samsung Rod?
> >
> > Yep.
>
> Another vote for Samsung here.

OK, so Samsung it is. What's a good recommendation for an enclosure, one with
USB 2.0 (Firewire would be nice, too).

From: will s on

"Mike Rofone" <mike_rofone(a)mic.org.nz> wrote in message
> Andy wrote...

>> > Yep.
>>
>> Another vote for Samsung here.
>
> OK, so Samsung it is. What's a good recommendation for an enclosure, one
> with
> USB 2.0 (Firewire would be nice, too).

I have a NexStar 3 and it has USB2 as well as esata

But they have various connections on the back so check before buying