From: Rod Speed on
z1 wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Mike Rofone wrote

>>> I'm looking at getting an external HDD. There's Seagate
>>> and Western Digital. What's the best one to get?

>> Samsung.

>> Seagates get rather hotter and thats very undesirable in an external.

>> And they can be Maxtors too, they never did last long with externals.

>> WDs are currently seeing a problem with some clown deciding
>> that the price of gold is too high and so has gone to silver which
>> corrodes quite badly, particularly on the underside of the logic card.

> you reckon samsung Rod?

Yep.

> well my seagate 1Tb ext HD is dying if the noise coming from it is anything to go by - sort of clunks and chatters :)

Get a samsung. Thats what I use for overflow from the PVR
and use them in HD docking stations and you have to listen
carefully to see if they are actually running they are so quiet,
even with the drive bare in a docking station.

From: will s on

"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Stubbo of Oz wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote
>>> Mike Rofone wrote

>>> Samsung.
>
>>> Seagates get rather hotter and thats very undesirable in an external.
>
>> My external Seagate is only just warm - not hot at all.
>
> Bet thats a lie on the hottest days in summer.

On the hottest day my WD gets bloody hot as well

From: will s on

"Mike Rofone" <mike_rofone(a)mic.org.nz> wrote in message
> I'm looking at getting an external HDD. There's Seagate and Western
> Digital.
> What's the best one to get?

Which ever one gives you the best value

Its a lottery, you may end up with a faulty WD or Seagate.....its just luck
of the draw

btw: I have the WD External 1 TB and I also have a 500 gig Seagate in a Nex
Star 3 enclosure that I purchased separately. This enclosure has the
advantage of having an e-sata connection on it so if your machine has an
esata connection then I would recommend purchasing an external Enclosure
that has esata and you can whack whatever drive you like into it

From: Rod Speed on
will s wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote
>> Stubbo of Oz wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote

>>> My external Seagate is only just warm - not hot at all.

>> Bet thats a lie on the hottest days in summer.

> On the hottest day my WD gets bloody hot as well

My Samsungs dont.

From: copperboy on
On Fri, 28 May 2010 16:11:54 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>will s wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote
>>> Stubbo of Oz wrote

>>> Bet thats a lie on the hottest days in summer.
>
>> On the hottest day my WD gets bloody hot as well
>
>My Samsungs dont.

Wot a Ferkin Liar