From: jimmy4175 on
Hello All, New to the forum and look forward to getting and giving help. I am
in the process of researching some sql backup solutions. Few thing I was
looking for was; Object level restoration, High Compression, Centralized
Management and lastly fast backup and restoration. I have found three
solution that meet these needs. I would like your thoughts on them. Have you
used any of them, recommend, dont recommend, etc. Or is there something esle
that you recommend? They are listed below:

1. Litespeed SQL Backup
2. Idera SQL Safe
3. Redgate SQL Backup Pro

Any input is appreciated. My plan was to start with Redgate, since it is the
cheapest. But figured I would ask around. Thanks All, Jimmy

From: Jay Konigsberg on
I used LiteSpeed on a 2TB DB writing to a NAS, it was cool and only a minor
pain to install on 2000.

How much volume are you backing up and where is it being backing to?

I ask because the SQL BACKUP command, networked drives, SQL Agent and SSMS
can cover a lot without the hassle of purchasing and installing 3rd party
software.

--
Jay Konigsberg
SQL Server DBA in Sacramento, CA

Live in Sacramento, CA?
Join the Sacramento SQL Server User Group on LinkedIn
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2825448&trk=anet_ug_hm&goback=%2Emyg

From: Uri Dimant on
Hi
I have never tried object level restoration done by those respectable
companies. Test it very carefully as if you have OLTP application and all
time the data has changed , take a look at and see that you did not lose the
data...
All other things (sure it depends on what you have at your workplace) have
been implented in SQL Server 2008.

If you have extra money to spend I would start with Red Gate

From: jimmy4175 via SQLMonster.com on
To answer a few questions. We will be backing up to a SAN. Next will not be
backing up more than a few hundred GB. Next we will be using this SQL 2000
instances. I have read a few good things on both RedGate and LiteSpeed. But
have not found much on Idera. Although, didnt do a heck of alot of searching.
I was kind of leaning toward starting with regate or litespeed, then moving
to Idera for my "last option". Thanks Guys

From: jimmy4175 via SQLMonster.com on