From: Rowland McDonnell on
Philip Herlihy <me(a)here.localhost> wrote:

> One of my customers has asked me for help with his mac (I'm pretty
> clueless about macs). He has Panther 10.3.9, Internet Explorer 5 (which
> just about works) and a broken Safari which crashes since the upgrade to
> 10.3.9.
>
> Now that we've successfully installed VNC I can work on the machine
> remotely, and intend to update Java in the hope of fixing Safari. Is
> there a suitable upgrade of Safari which can be downloaded for this
> version of MacOs?
>
> Search on the web suggests also trying Camino and Firefox 2.0.0.12.
>
> Advice much appreciated.

Very delayed, but mny advice is:

Upgrade the Mac to 10.4.11.

MacOS X 10.4 can run a /lot/ more software than 10.3. Lots of people
are using 10.4 without any serious limits at all. There were major
changes between 10.3 and 10.4 - basically, Apple added a lot of stuff to
10.4 to make application writers' life easier, and this stuff is used
for applications.

(Apple has added /some/ stuff along those lines to 10.5 and 10.6, but
the changes are less radical from what I understand.).

Anyway, I was using 10.4 on a 4G5 until about a month ago and almost all
the software I wanted to use was available to me in the latest versions.

Finally: no-one's suggested iCab: a Web browser that's been aaround for
years, is still being developed, and is definitely one to look at if you
want to get an old Mac on the Web. And when I say `old', I mean
`there's even pre OS X versions still available, although they've not
been updated for years'.

Firefox, Safari, OmniWeb, iCab, Opera, and Camino - I have all those Web
browsers available. And it turns out that each one of them except for
Camino has at one time or another let me access a Web page that the rest
of 'em couldn't. I try Camino last for the most part, which possibly
explains the above results.

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me