From: Elliott Roper on
I chucked a 1TB drive full of stuff like Aperture vaults and other
giant hand crafted backups into my external drive array for the first
time ever and TIme Machine without so much as a by your leave deleted 2
months of history to make room for stuff I never wanted to be backed up
for the third time, and then, because I had the preference set to do
so, had the sheer hide to crow that it had pooched my daily history
record.

Is there any way to tell it to update itself from selected places only
instead of its brain-dead exclude mechanism? I never got a chance to
exclude the disk full of vault before it merrily destroyed all the
history I really wanted to keep.

Is there any way to get it to ask before laying waste to ones backup
strategy?

I'm not a happy bunny. I think I'll bin it for super duper. At least I
have some control over what gets backed up.

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248
From: Andy Hewitt on
Elliott Roper <nospam(a)yrl.co.uk> wrote:

> I chucked a 1TB drive full of stuff like Aperture vaults and other
> giant hand crafted backups into my external drive array for the first
> time ever and TIme Machine without so much as a by your leave deleted 2
> months of history to make room for stuff I never wanted to be backed up
> for the third time, and then, because I had the preference set to do
> so, had the sheer hide to crow that it had pooched my daily history
> record.
>
> Is there any way to tell it to update itself from selected places only
> instead of its brain-dead exclude mechanism? I never got a chance to
> exclude the disk full of vault before it merrily destroyed all the
> history I really wanted to keep.
>
> Is there any way to get it to ask before laying waste to ones backup
> strategy?
>
> I'm not a happy bunny. I think I'll bin it for super duper. At least I
> have some control over what gets backed up.

I think I just immediately hit the 'Cancel' button, then added my
'excludes'.

You could probably temporarily turn it off, connect drive, add it to the
excludes, and then turn it back on again.

I did notice that it has an option to notify you *after* it has deleted
old files. Nice!

--
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>
From: Hugh Browton on
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:51:49 +0000, Elliott Roper wrote
(in article <181120092051497178%nospam(a)yrl.co.uk>):

> I'm not a happy bunny. I think I'll bin it for super duper. At least I
> have some control over what gets backed up.

Not only that, but when TM fails it doesn't bother with useful error
messages. I use it in conjunction with another, more trustworthy backup
system for my home folder, and I won't recommend TM to any client who is
really concerned about backing up. It's a bit like other some Apple products
- looks pretty, doesn't do a bad job, but you can't actually TRUST it to do
what is needed.

--
regards
hugh

"The question of whether Machines Can Think... is about as relevant as the
question of whether Submarines Can Swim." Edsger Dijkstra (1930-2002)

From: Sak Wathanasin on
On 19 Nov, 10:17, Hugh Browton <useneth@**.not.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:51:49 +0000, Elliott Roper wrote
> (in article <181120092051497178%nos...(a)yrl.co.uk>):
>

> > I'm not a happy bunny. I think I'll bin it for super duper. At least I
> > have some control over what gets backed up.
>
> Not only that, but when TM fails it doesn't bother with useful error
> messages. I use it in conjunction with another, more trustworthy backup
> system for my home folder, and I won't recommend TM to any client who is
> really concerned about backing up. It's a bit like other some Apple products
> - looks pretty, doesn't do a bad job, but you can't actually TRUST it to do
> what is needed.

I'm not a big fan of TM either - you can't control the schedule except
by removing/turning off the backup drive. And why does the TM appl
have to take over the whole screen for Pete's sake? If you have a
simple workflow that fits the TM user model, it's fine, but as soon as
you deviate from that, TM doesn't have enough configurablility to
allow you to adjust it.

I use TM at home, where it's better than nothing, and Use Retrospect
in the office, but that has its foibles too (the worst is that it
won't wake the Mac up to do a backup).

From: Hugh Browton on
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:49:49 +0000, Sak Wathanasin wrote
(in article
<a5f17fd8-7d8a-4fdb-b311-bdf11116238b(a)j19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>):

> On 19 Nov, 10:17, Hugh Browton <useneth@**.not.uk> wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:51:49 +0000, Elliott Roper wrote
>> (in article <181120092051497178%nos...(a)yrl.co.uk>):
>>

>>> I'm not a happy bunny. I think I'll bin it for super duper. At least I
>>> have some control over what gets backed up.
>>
>> Not only that, but when TM fails it doesn't bother with useful error
>> messages. I use it in conjunction with another, more trustworthy backup
>> system for my home folder, and I won't recommend TM to any client who is
>> really concerned about backing up. It's a bit like other some Apple products
>> - looks pretty, doesn't do a bad job, but you can't actually TRUST it to do
>> what is needed.
>
> I'm not a big fan of TM either - you can't control the schedule except
> by removing/turning off the backup drive. And why does the TM appl
> have to take over the whole screen for Pete's sake? If you have a
> simple workflow that fits the TM user model, it's fine, but as soon as
> you deviate from that, TM doesn't have enough configurablility to
> allow you to adjust it.
>
> I use TM at home, where it's better than nothing, and Use Retrospect
> in the office, but that has its foibles too (the worst is that it
> won't wake the Mac up to do a backup).

I use Personal Backup from Intego - simple enough and doesn't encrypt the
backup. Previous version (4) had best settings and interface - current
version (5) a bit more tricksie - why do they do that?

--
regards
hugh
hugh at clarity point uk point co
(by the sea) (using Hogwasher)

"The question of whether Machines Can Think... is about as relevant as the
question of whether Submarines Can Swim." Edsger Dijkstra (1930-2002)

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: Best browser for 10.3.9?
Next: Duplex printer settings ?