From: Twayne on
In news:u2oe0w2sKHA.4752(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
Leonard Grey <l.grey(a)invalid.invalid> typed:
> And you going to use an antivirus program just because we say so?

Actually, there are people who will do just that; you never know. Newbies
especially see information as the last word rather than the opinion it most
always is. Many are shocked to discover there are jerks, criminals and
experts, just like in the real world. Everything seems so "official" to
them. Vendors can 't be bothered with education in most cases and it's
basically a buyer beware setup.

Twayne
Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
But always verify important information with
other sources to be certain you have a clear
understanding of it and that it is accurate.

From: Stan Brown on
Sun, 21 Feb 2010 20:40:26 -0500 from Twayne <nobody(a)spamcop.net>:

> In news:aXjgn.17997$X_6.5802(a)newsfe22.ams2,
> Surfer Joe <lortega(a)ntlworld.com> typed:
> > Can anyone please suggest a good free antivirus?
> > I'm tired of paying for norton.
>
> AVG

I used to use it. version 8 was terrific, but 8.5 was not. "Link
scanner" was a disaster, taking a lot of time to do something it
shouldn't have done in the first place, and the program as a whole
was a resource hog.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
From: J. P. Gilliver (John) on
In message <MPG.25f1de26914ee42998c003(a)news.individual.net>, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown(a)fastmail.fm> writes:
>Sun, 21 Feb 2010 20:40:26 -0500 from Twayne <nobody(a)spamcop.net>:
>>
>> In news:aXjgn.17997$X_6.5802(a)newsfe22.ams2,
>> Surfer Joe <lortega(a)ntlworld.com> typed:
>> > Can anyone please suggest a good free antivirus?
>> > I'm tired of paying for norton.
>>
>> AVG
>
>I used to use it. version 8 was terrific, but 8.5 was not. "Link
>scanner" was a disaster, taking a lot of time to do something it
>shouldn't have done in the first place, and the program as a whole
>was a resource hog.

I moved to AVIRA after AVG; can't say it is the best, only that it works
for me, and doesn't get in the way. See http://www.free-av.com/.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar(a)T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
** http://www.soft255.demon.co.uk/G6JPG-PC/JPGminPC.htm for ludicrously

"It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it's
the part that I do understand." - Mark Twain
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: XP dual monitor problems
Next: window opacity