From: Dave Farrance on
Justin C <justin.0908(a)purestblue.com> wrote:

>I believe Ubuntu is quite good at detecting hardware.

I've just tried that in live-CD mode, and several of the
Menu->System->Admin apps seem to be dysfunctional, i.e. they won't even
start. Presumably they'd work once the distro was installed to hard disk,
but that's not what I'm after.

--
Dave Farrance
From: Dave Farrance on
"Geoffrey Clements" <geoffrey.clementsNO(a)SPAMbaesystems.com> wrote:

>> Dave Farrance <DaveFarrance(a)OMiTTHiSyahooANDTHiS.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>I downloaded the latest Knoppix (v6.01) and saved it to a flash and booted
>>>from that. Unfortunately, it's not the Knoppix that I remember from years
>>>gone by. It seems OK for office apps and simple browsing, but not for
>>>probing the hardware, peripherals and network. Which live-distro would do
>>>that these days?
>
>http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
>
>Although I'm not sure if it's got everything you want.

I'll download that and try it tomorrow. The main thing I'm after is an
app for hardware probing and reporting. Does it have that? I don't see
that mentioned on that page.

--
Dave Farrance
From: Mark Hobley on
Dave Farrance <DaveFarrance(a)omitthisyahooandthis.co.uk> wrote:
> I've just tried that in live-CD mode, and several of the
> Menu->System->Admin apps seem to be dysfunctional, i.e. they won't even
> start.

I have noticed that some distributions do not work on some machines.

It may be necessary to apply the following options, prior to
installation:

noapic nolapic pci=noacpi

However, this workaround only works about 20% of the time in my
experience.

> Presumably they'd work once the distro was installed to hard disk,

Not really. They may not work from the hard drive either.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: Glyn Millington on
Dave Farrance <DaveFarrance(a)OMiTTHiSyahooANDTHiS.co.uk> writes:

> I've just bought an Acer Aspire Revo R3610 "net-top" computer (at only
> £160!) with Linpus Linux preinstalled. Unfortunately, it's only driving
> my 1920x1080 Asus VH242H monitor at a resolution of 1024x768, and offers
> no higher resolution, despite being connected by HDMI. I'll replace
> Linpus with another distro, but I'd like to do some hardware probing
> first.
>
> I downloaded the latest Knoppix (v6.01) and saved it to a flash and booted
> from that. Unfortunately, it's not the Knoppix that I remember from years
> gone by. It seems OK for office apps and simple browsing, but not for
> probing the hardware, peripherals and network. Which live-distro would do
> that these days?

How about this?

http://ezix.org/project/wiki/HardwareLiSter

As far as the network goes, what do

#ifconfig -a

and
#lspci

give you?

atb

Glyn
From: Geoffrey Clements on
"Dave Farrance" <DaveFarrance(a)OMiTTHiSyahooANDTHiS.co.uk> wrote in message

>>http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
>>
>>Although I'm not sure if it's got everything you want.
>
> I'll download that and try it tomorrow. The main thing I'm after is an
> app for hardware probing and reporting. Does it have that? I don't see
> that mentioned on that page.

I'm not sure, by the time I've checked tonight you'll have probably d/l'd it
anyway but it's good to have something like this lurking around for when
things get really borked, it's useful for (*spit*) Windows PCs as well.

--
Geoff