From: Grant on
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:48:54 +0100, barnabyh <address(a)invalid.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 06:03:59 -0700
>William Hunt <wjh(a)prv8.net> wrote:
>

>> It's a moot point, now that OP has solved their problem
>> using a torrent, but it should be noted that, considering
>> the time and trouble the OP has had with ftp, it might have
>> been cheaper to order up and shiny new DVD, complete with
>> slackware logo, at slackware.com.
>>

>Good point, but may take too long to arrive for the OP. It's always
>good to order one anyway though ;) .
>
>I should add that ftp.slackware.com seems very slow outside North
>America, and mirrorservice can be troublesome too, at least at some
>point some of the mirrors were outdated and simply did not exist any
>longer.

People who know better, should use a mirror and leave the overloaded
slackware.com server to the newbies ;)

>Since I am in Northern Europe using ftp.slackware.no directly has always
>been outstandingly fast and reliable. I've never tried any of the UK
>ones though, but in theory the geographically closest mirror should give
>the best speed given the same pipe and load.

Yes, find a local mirror that works, stick with it. I use either tds
or osuosl, the latter is good and is mentioned in the slackware security
emails.

For large file downloads, I use wget with '--limit-rate=32k' so the
download doesn't interfere with my normal Internet usage. For many
years now I've not found a round tuit to fit a priority based system
to let these long downloads use but not hog my limited bandwidth.

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/
From: Aaron W. Hsu on
Grant wrote:

> Yes, find a local mirror that works, stick with it. I use either tds
> or osuosl, the latter is good and is mentioned in the slackware security
> emails.

And if you have access to a university mirror, that's often the best. I've
noticed that a number of universities have public mirroring of Linux
distributions, including Slackware. They seem to be generally reliable and
fast.

Of course, if you want to get the ISOs, I've found BitTorrent to be a much
more efficient solution anyways.

Aaron W. Hsu
From: Eef Hartman on
Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:
> Yes, find a local mirror that works, stick with it. I use either tds
> or osuosl, the latter is good and is mentioned in the slackware security
> emails.

The one in Finland, though geographically rather remote for me, works
fine (I mean elektroni.phys.tut.fi) _and_ also has the iso's available
(which our Dutch mirrors do not).
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **