From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on

> Are there any SIDs that are of the form S-1–x–y thar are not
> well-known SIDs?

Yes, plenty. The 1 is the revision number of the SID structure.

From: Alexander Grigoriev on
Um... Can you make an example of not-well-known SID with a single
subauthority component (that's what the OP was asking)?

"Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups(a)NTLWorld.COM> wrote
in message

From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
well-known SIDs?</p>
subauthority component (that's what the OP was asking)?</p>
original question.&nbsp; There's no occurrence of the word "subauthority"
anywhere in xyr post.&nbsp; Indeed, M. Kuhr's recent purported paraphrase of
xyr question actually includes <em>two</em> subauthorities in one of
its examples, contradicting your inference.&nbsp; </p>
trivial to come up with examples, and you could have answered your own
question with a moment's thought.&nbsp; There are, after all, tens of
thousands of unused authorities and unused RIDs for exisiting
authorities.&nbsp; You think that all SIDs with one RID are well-known?&nbsp; You
tell us what S-1-2-45, S-1-1-32, and S-1-24-36 <em>are well-known as</em>,
then.&nbsp; As I said, this is a trivial exercise, that you could easily
have solved.</p>
From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
SIDs will always be exactly one of the two forms S-1–x or S-1–x–y or
S-1–x–y-z?"</p>
want to know.  You're <em>excluding</em> well-known SIDs in your
program, so you should be asking whether any <em>non-</em>well-known
SIDs match the trivial patterns that you want to use for pattern
matching.  The answer to that is, of course, "Yes.".  There are tens of
thousands of <em>non-</em>well-known SIDs that match your patterns.
As I was just saying to M. Grigoriev, it is a trivial exercise to
construct some, that doesn't require very much effort at all.</p>
presumption that is on shaky ground because you seem to think that the
"S-1-x-y-z" in your paraphrase matches the "S-1-x-y" in your original,
which of course would only be true if, like Microsoft's documentation,
you actually <em>do not</em> mean one RID per letter.  (In some of the
TechNet documentation, Y denotes the entire string of RIDs, however
long it is.)  In which case, as M. Mostert said, your patterns in fact
match all SIDs currently in existence.<br>
From: Stefan Kuhr on
Jonathan,

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:

>> let me rephrase my question: "Can I safely assume that well-known SIDs
>> will always be exactly one of the two forms S-1–x or S-1–x–y or
>> S-1–x–y-z?"
>>
> That's not two forms. That's not a paraphrase. Nor is it what you want
> to know. You're /excluding/ well-known SIDs in your program, so you
> should be asking whether any /non-/well-known SIDs match the trivial
> patterns that you want to use for pattern matching. The answer to that
> is, of course, "Yes.". There are tens of thousands of /non-/well-known
> SIDs that match your patterns. As I was just saying to M. Grigoriev, it
> is a trivial exercise to construct some, that doesn't require very much
> effort at all.
>
> And this is to presume that your letters stand for one RID each, a
> presumption that is on shaky ground because you seem to think that the
> "S-1-x-y-z" in your paraphrase matches the "S-1-x-y" in your original,
> which of course would only be true if, like Microsoft's documentation,
> you actually /do not/ mean one RID per letter. (In some of the TechNet
> documentation, Y denotes the entire string of RIDs, however long it
> is.) In which case, as M. Mostert said, your patterns in fact match all
> SIDs currently in existence.

Thanks for your input. You are right. This vague idea of relying on
those forms of SIDs was something that left me with a bad feeling in my
stomach anyway, because it simply seemed too much of an assumption to
me. So many thanks for clearing this up. Actually, my requirements are:

If my code determines a SID, that actually is not a well-known SID, to
be a well-known SID, it would work incorrectly. This could happen if I
relied on a certain form of SID as you have explained. However, if my
code would determine a SID, that actually *is* a well-known SID, not to
be a well-known SID, the LDAP query that I would fire next against the
DC would give me a meaningful error. So this would only have performance
implications, but the behaviour of the program would still be correct.
So I think I can stay with the table based approach and be safe.

BTW: Why are you posting your answers to
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 as well? I only asked on
microsoft.public.win32.programmer.kernel. I am just curiuos.

Thanks for your help,

Pages: 1
Prev: Flip screen application
Next: Resize bitmap