From: Jason on
"M" <m(a)nowhere.com> wrote in news:eQS9dm7yKHA.3264(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl:

> [...]
>
> I don't want to burst your bubble, but as an experienced
> Exchange/Windows admin, I'm concerned that the jobs for Exchange
> admins will not be as plentiful in the future. Here are two reasons,
> IMO: 1.) Exchange admin jobs can be easily offshored to other
> countries, and 2.) There are a lot of companies pushing outsourced
> Exchange/e-mail as a service. MS is pushing that model with Exchange.
> And Google now has some utility to migrate smaller companies from
> Exchange to Google Apps.
>
> Right now I work out of my home supporting Exchange for a large
> client. My employer actually tried to offshore my position before I
> started, but because our client is in a regulated industry, it didn't
> allow my employer to outsource to a particular country. So I know for
> a fact that my job could have been offshored.
>
> If you can leverage your CCNA and get a job as a network tech doing
> hands-on installation and administration of networking equipment,
> that'll be the way to go. That type of hands-on work can never be
> outsourced. Don't get into Exchange just because you think it can land
> you a job. If you like networking, stick with that since you already
> have your CCNA.
>
> Anyway, it won't hurt to know Exchange, but just don't expect to land
> a high paying job right away because you know Exchange. And honestly,
> I don't think you can ever learn Exchange from a book and be really
> good. There are some advanced things that the books just don't cover
> thoroughly, and you really need to know Exchange from version 5.5
> forward to really appreciate and understand the newer versions. I was
> fortunate that early in my career I got to work in a huge company with
> some really smart Exchange admins. The stuff I learned from that
> experience has never been in any book I've read.
>
> Anyway, to answer your questions, yes, from what I've read, the 32-bit
> Exchange eval version does pretty much everything the full 64-bit
> version does. MS won't support the 32-bit version in production, and I
> doubt any vendors would make Exchange-related software that would run
> on the 32-bit version. You can run the 32- or 64-bit version in a VM
> on a desktop PC running Hyper-V (Hyper-V server is free). To check a
> PC for Hyper-V compatibility, see my posting at
> http://sysadmin-e.com/2010/02/07/virt-compat/. You'd also want to max
> out the RAM (at least 4 GB) and have at two HDs to keep your VMs off
> your OS drive.
>
> If you're not aware of it, MS has free, pre-configured VMs (in VHD
> format) for evaluation purposes. They usually have a 90 day eval
> period. Check out http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb738372.aspx.
>
> I'm not sure if there's been an update, but when I tried the Exchange
> 2007 VHD last summer, I could not get the darn thing to work properly.
> The base OS VHDs will probably work fine since they aren't as complex.
>
> Lastly, to be a good Exchange admin, you need to know AD well. I
pf_rd
> _p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0596004664
&pf
> _rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1R4TMP78BX3M34BGXMN7 (I have the 2nd
> edition, not sure if there's a newer edition after the 3rd). For
> Exchange, books by Jim McBee are pretty good, but they're usually
> geared towards experienced admins. MS has a ton of free online
> articles and videos that cover the basics, so check them all out..

Hi M,

Further to your previous reply, can you give me a little advice about
setting up a virtual server for Exchange. I have ordered a PC with an
AMD X3 64 bit processor which I intend to use as a virtual server for
study purposes. From the research I've done so far I think I have a few
choices available to me:

Firstly, which server is best to use; Microsoft's free 'Hyper-V Server
2008 R2' or a trial version of 'Server 2008 R2' (which has 180 days
usage)? Hyper-V seems the obvious choice as it has a smaller footprint &
won't expire but is there any functionality benefit to using Server
2008?

Secondly, will all VHD's work, whilst looking at the VHD for Echange
2007 it states that 'Microsoft Virtual PC or Microsoft Virtual Server'
is required, is this because the page is old and not updated or is the
Virtual PC / Virtual server architecture different to Hyper-V & doesn't
support older VHDs?

Regards,
Jason
From: M on
Check out the Hyper-V feature comparison at
http://www.microsoft.com/hyper-v-server/en/us/how-to-get.aspx. The free
version is in the leftmost column. One big difference is that it doesn't
have a GUI. IIRC you can use PowerShell and the command line to administer
it directly at the console, but no GUI. You can administer it via a GUI from
a Server 2008, Vista, or Win 7 computer that has the appropriate Hyper-V
management tools.

Regarding the Exchange Server 2007 VHD, as I mentioned, I could not get the
thing to work properly, so I didn't use it. Hyper-V does support VHDs from
Virtual PC/Virtual Server. There might be some conversion that it does--I
don't remember, but it wasn't anything complicated. The VHD started up in
Hyper-V fine, but it was something with the AD and Exchange settings that
were not working correctly. I don't remember the details, but I did research
the issue and couldn't really find much info, and the documentation for that
VHD was pretty much worthless, so I ended up setting up my own Window Server
2008 domain and then setting up an Exchange Server 2007 VM from scratch.
That gave me more practice anyway.

It looks like they have an Exchange Server 2010 VHD now, so that might work
better.

--
Regards,
MCTS, MCSA