From: nmm1 on
In article <r5ofc7-d94.ln1(a)laptop.reistad.name>,
Morten Reistad <first(a)last.name> wrote:

>>Yup. The requirement to look good on benchmarks written in sequential,
>>hard-to-parallelise C has made it really hard to market parallel
>>computers except for multicores that essentially run each their own
>>sequential programs.
>
>May I suggest apache and squid web page serving, mysql lookups and
>stores, and phone calls through asterisk as benchmarks?

But those ARE precisely the ones that essentially run each their own
sequential programs!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Torben �gidius Mogensen on
Morten Reistad <first(a)last.name> writes:

> In article <7zfx1neyk0.fsf(a)ask.diku.dk>,
> Torben �gidius Mogensen <torbenm(a)diku.dk> wrote:

>>Now, if APL had been the dominant language through the 1990s, we would
>>have seen very different hardware now.
>
> Java became the dominant language with their special requirements.
> We have seen very little hardware to support that.

Java is not all that different from C. Both are essentially sequential
imperative languages.

Torben
From: Morten Reistad on
In article <ht3dbm$neg$1(a)smaug.linux.pwf.cam.ac.uk>, <nmm1(a)cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>In article <r5ofc7-d94.ln1(a)laptop.reistad.name>,
>Morten Reistad <first(a)last.name> wrote:
>>>
>>>Yup. The requirement to look good on benchmarks written in sequential,
>>>hard-to-parallelise C has made it really hard to market parallel
>>>computers except for multicores that essentially run each their own
>>>sequential programs.
>>
>>May I suggest apache and squid web page serving, mysql lookups and
>>stores, and phone calls through asterisk as benchmarks?
>
>But those ARE precisely the ones that essentially run each their own
>sequential programs!

Up to a point. You have locking and context semantics to hold you up.
Especially asterisk is a challenge there, because any media stream will
have to exist in two contexts; the in and out part of the call. I don't
know how to get around that without making a dispatcher table which will
be the mother of all locking contention.

-- mrr
From: Rick Jones on
nmm1(a)cam.ac.uk wrote:
> But those ARE precisely the ones that essentially run each their own
> sequential programs!

Isn't the whole point (perhaps that is the problem?) of SMP tuning is
to make an N-way system look as much like N 1-way systems as possible?

rick jones
From: nmm1 on
In article <ht3ruj$rvu$5(a)usenet01.boi.hp.com>,
Rick Jones <rick.jones2(a)hp.com> wrote:

>> But those ARE precisely the ones that essentially run each their own
>> sequential programs!
>
>Isn't the whole point (perhaps that is the problem?) of SMP tuning is
>to make an N-way system look as much like N 1-way systems as possible?

Yes :-(

hat is precisely why the successes are primarily the embarrassingly
parallel problems.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.