From: Rick Jones on
Morten Reistad <first(a)last.name> wrote:
> When asterisk switches 12800 calls on 8 processors, asterisk itself
> uses less than 100% of cpu on ONE processor, but Linux itself took
> the other 7. Web servers behave likewise.

That sounds like something the folks on the netdev list hosted on
vger.kernel.org might like to hear more about.

rick jones
From: nmm1 on
In article <ht6f5f$ef$4(a)usenet01.boi.hp.com>,
Rick Jones <rick.jones2(a)hp.com> wrote:
>> >From the measurements we have done the important contention parts
>> >happen in the OS kernel. That is the single most critical piece to
>> >parallellise.
>
>> Yup. That's the next step. I am interested in the one after that,
>> like any good academic :-)
>
>That's ironic - in my corner of the 'net at least a great deal of
>effort was put into getting a kernel to scale and thus out of the
>way and we are having to address the applications and their developers
>:)

Surprise, surprise :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Morten Reistad on
In article <ht6f5f$ef$4(a)usenet01.boi.hp.com>,
Rick Jones <rick.jones2(a)hp.com> wrote:
>> >From the measurements we have done the important contention parts
>> >happen in the OS kernel. That is the single most critical piece to
>> >parallellise.
>
>> Yup. That's the next step. I am interested in the one after that,
>> like any good academic :-)
>
>That's ironic - in my corner of the 'net at least a great deal of
>effort was put into getting a kernel to scale and thus out of the
>way and we are having to address the applications and their developers
>:)

The performance in Linux and the common internet utilities is not
bad. It is also amusing to see the difference between Linux and
(Free|Open)BSD. Linux handles media shuffling very well, but there
is a little latency (sub-millisecond, but still) that get in the way of
the single-packet servers. On Linux we see the best results for
asterisk, mysql, apache, but the BSDs give better performance for
ser&friends, bind etc.

It might just be that the Linux UDP stack needs some work.

-- mrr
From: Morten Reistad on
In article <ht6f8c$ef$5(a)usenet01.boi.hp.com>,
Rick Jones <rick.jones2(a)hp.com> wrote:
>Morten Reistad <first(a)last.name> wrote:
>> When asterisk switches 12800 calls on 8 processors, asterisk itself
>> uses less than 100% of cpu on ONE processor, but Linux itself took
>> the other 7. Web servers behave likewise.
>
>That sounds like something the folks on the netdev list hosted on
>vger.kernel.org might like to hear more about.

Netdev? They seem swamped with devices and fixes, and have had
several notices about "fixes only please". OK, someone has to do
that work, so I don't mind. The low end network stuff is very
good.

We don't have complete instrumentation for the kernel running for
these analysis runs, but from what we _can_ see we use a lot of time
for the actual I/O (we _are_ seeing several gigabits worth of 200-byte
packets). Without interrupt coalescing the "pc server architecture"
seems to have ceiling of around 4000 calls; no matter how much
processing, cache etc is available. These systems go into interrupt
saturation, and become very unresponsive.

With interrupt coalescing we saw interrupt loads get under control.
We still see interrupts more or less fill one of the processors,
though. Probably there is always something to do, always an interrupt
to handle; but the system doesn't go into saturation anymore.

This accounts for two out of 8 cpus. We see staggering amounts of
context swithces, and the network code is very busy. We do not, however,
see anything that should preclude further scaling until we are saturated
with interrupts again. That should be somewhere around 100.000 calls.
Asterisk easily handles 20+ cpus for itself, making threads as necessary.

But then, there may be some locking issues in the network stack.

I doubt that anyone else has pushed a standard LAMP server so hard
regarding media streams. After all, we are at a level where a single
19" rack can handle all the telephone calls of 5 million people.

-- mrr

From: Rick Jones on
Morten Reistad <first(a)last.name> wrote:
> In article <ht6f8c$ef$5(a)usenet01.boi.hp.com>,
> Rick Jones <rick.jones2(a)hp.com> wrote:
> >That sounds like something the folks on the netdev list hosted on
> >vger.kernel.org might like to hear more about.

> Netdev? They seem swamped with devices and fixes, and have had
> several notices about "fixes only please".

"Fixes only please" is a regular event at particular phases in the
release process when they are getting a release candidate ready. Then
there should be a message announcing the opening of the merge window.

rick jones
--
web2.0 n, the dot.com reunion tour...