From: DL on
You close Outlook and use the mail applet in the control panel to add the
data file and set this as the default message store

From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp(a)msn.com> wrote in message
>> Windows version? ***XP Home, fully up-to-date
>
> How long ago did you do this? ***Less than one hour before posting for
> help
>
> If your OS supports System
>> Restore and you did it really recently, use System Restore to roll back.
>> ***Stupidly, I didn't set a restore point before following Outlook's
>> suggestions

XP doesn't create them automatically every day?

>>If not, the settings are gone. ***Does this include folders below
>>"Inbox"? Several years ago I was able to recover Outlook Express folders
>>with DBXtract from Tomsterdam's InsideOutlookExpress site - any similar
>>tool available for Outlook?.
>
>> If you do restore, go into tools, options, other, advanced, com addins
>> and disable the psion addin. ***It was listed. Disabled it and warning
>> no longer appears when starting Outlook. Wish I'd known/found this
>> before blindly following Oulook's advice
>
> If its not listed, find and delete extend.dat.
>
> Started adding email addresses by New, "a" in To: field, use first
> address, right clicking it,and adding to Outlook contacts and so on.
> After doing three, discovered a large outlook.pst file as well as
> outlook.pst1 (the one to whish I was adding. Discovered how to show the
> outlook.pst folder under Contacts, but not how to delete the new (now
> redundant) outlook.pst1.
> I was adding

File, Data file management to add and remove pst files. Or control panel,
mail, profiles.

From: Keith on
Thanks Diane, with your help I seem to have got everything back, so my
wife's a happy bunny!

> XP doesn't create them automatically every day?
I haven't found anything in 'System restore' that let's me schedule it.

From: Keith on
Thanks, it worked.

From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
Gotta keep the wife happy :)