From: John on
Exchange Server 2003 SP2 running on 32-bit Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2, both
with the latest patches installed. The server has 4GB of RAM installed.

I've never used a Blackberry phone so I'm wondering what I need
(hardware/software) to be able to access Exchange mailbox with a Blackberry
phone. There will be 1 or 2 Blackberry user(s) to support. At the moment,
OWA (over https) is already accessible over the internet. I'm using ISA 2006
to publish OWA.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:48:20 -0800, "John" <a> wrote:

>Exchange Server 2003 SP2 running on 32-bit Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2, both
>with the latest patches installed. The server has 4GB of RAM installed.
>
>I've never used a Blackberry phone so I'm wondering what I need
>(hardware/software) to be able to access Exchange mailbox with a Blackberry
>phone. There will be 1 or 2 Blackberry user(s) to support. At the moment,
>OWA (over https) is already accessible over the internet. I'm using ISA 2006
>to publish OWA.
>
>Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Go to rim.com and see.
You will need either a BES or the free equivalent for very small
organizations.
From: GoTrojans on
Try the Blackberry Enterprise Server Express version.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/business/server/express/

Ron

From: John on
Thanks. I've signed up for the software but haven't received the download
link yet.

I suppose blackberry phones can't use ActiveSync or OWA to connect to
Exchange mailbox, right? Is it a good idea to install BES on the same
(Exchange) server or is it better to install it on a dedicated server?

From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 13:27:17 -0800, "John" <a> wrote:

>Thanks. I've signed up for the software but haven't received the download
>link yet.
>
>I suppose blackberry phones can't use ActiveSync or OWA to connect to
>Exchange mailbox, right? Is it a good idea to install BES on the same
>(Exchange) server or is it better to install it on a dedicated server?

The whole point of a BlackBerry is that it's not a Windws Mobile or an
iPhone. If they did ActiveSync RIM would be out of business in eight
minutes.
BES on a dedicated server but the freebie is apparently ok on the
Exchange box. Personally I'd virtualize the lot to maintain logical
separation.