From: Graham. on

I got a Blackberry 8520 from work this week. I know little about this so I thought
I would invite some comments here.
Out of the box I was able to use the browser on T-Mobile and my wi-fi, and amused
myself with some Youtube content etc.

Yesterday I was asked to activate it on the BES which I did, and noticed a few oddities.

I could send and receive emails, looks similar to the usual Exchange Server based email
I am used to, I could still browse the web on my Wi-Fi but not via T-Mobile, and
the GPRS indicator in the top right of the screen had stubbornly changed to GSM.
After about 12 hours however, the GPRS indicator returned and I was able
to browse the web while out and about, I notice that I cannot download any apps
presumably due to group policy, and also Youtube content no longer plays, why would that be?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

From: Jono on
It happens that Graham. formulated :
> I got a Blackberry 8520 from work this week. I know little about this so I
> thought
> I would invite some comments here.
> Out of the box I was able to use the browser on T-Mobile and my wi-fi, and
> amused
> myself with some Youtube content etc.
>
> Yesterday I was asked to activate it on the BES which I did, and noticed a
> few oddities.
>
> I could send and receive emails, looks similar to the usual Exchange Server
> based email
> I am used to, I could still browse the web on my Wi-Fi but not via T-Mobile,
> and
> the GPRS indicator in the top right of the screen had stubbornly changed to
> GSM.
> After about 12 hours however, the GPRS indicator returned and I was able
> to browse the web while out and about, I notice that I cannot download any
> apps
> presumably due to group policy, and also Youtube content no longer plays, why
> would that be?

Your BES administrator can allow/disallow any and all services on the
device itself.