From: johnboytee on
I have just started up my laptop, windows starts and then all I get is a
blank desktop with no icons just the wallpaper. What can I do to solve the
problem?
From: db on
try pressing ctl+al+del

then launch a new task
called:

explorer.exe

--
db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: VanguardLH on
johnboytee wrote:

> I have just started up my laptop, windows starts and then all I get is a
> blank desktop with no icons just the wallpaper.

Do you actually have a desktop? Use Ctrl+Alt+Del and select to load Task
Manager. Look in its Processes tab to see if there is an explorer.exe
process (yep, Windows Explorer is also the desktop manager). My guess is
the desktop is loading because you see the configured wallpaper on it.

If you do have a desktop, maybe it is configured to not show any icons on
the desktop. Right-click on the desktop, select "Arrange Icons By" context
menu, and check if the "Show desktop icons" option is enabled or not.
From: liu on
I had this happened to me on a laptop running vista. It turns out that
one laptop power setting would turn off everything on desktop.
Choosing the regular or performance turns it back on. I don't have the
laptop to check the exact program for this. It should be in one of the
control panels.
From: ctowers on
johnboytee wrote:
> I have just started up my laptop, windows starts and then all I get
> is a blank desktop with no icons just the wallpaper. What can I do to
> solve the problem?

Right click a blank area of the desktop and place a check
next to "Show Desktop Icons" in the drop-down menu.