From: Jake on
Help...

How do I delete a file / folder in XP which has a trailing space...?

regards jake
From: Andrew McLaren on
On 26/01/2010 19:23, Jake wrote:

> How do I delete a file / folder in XP which has a trailing space...?

Hi Jake

Put quotes around the file name. For example from a command line:

C:\SOMEDIR>del "this is a file with a trailing space "

or

C:\>rmdir "this is a folder with a trailing space "

Note the trailing space, in these commands :-)

Hope it helps,

Andrew

--
amclar at optusnet dot com dot au
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Jake" <jake44(a)gmail.com> said this in news item
> Help...
>
> How do I delete a file / folder in XP which has a trailing space...?
>
> regards jake

AFAIK, Windows allows file or folder names with *embedded* spaces but not
with *trailing* spaces. How exactly did you work out that you had a name
with a trailing space?

From: a on
"Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote

> AFAIK, Windows allows file or folder names with *embedded* spaces but not with *trailing* spaces.

Huh? Of course files and folders can have spaces at their start or end.

> How exactly did you work out that you had a name with a trailing space?

By seeing the blank space in the focus rectangle when selected.

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"a" <b(a)invalid.com> said this in news item
> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote
>
>> AFAIK, Windows allows file or folder names with *embedded* spaces but not
>> with *trailing* spaces.
>
> Huh? Of course files and folders can have spaces at their start or end.
>
>> How exactly did you work out that you had a name with a trailing space?
>
> By seeing the blank space in the focus rectangle when selected.

This can be deceptive. The white space could be $FF. It looks the same as a
space but it isn't.