From: straycat on
After using the recovery CD's to re-boot my computer, I am left with the
message, "NTLDR is missing. Use CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart computer". I am now
in a vicious loop. How do I fix/replace this file?
HELP
From: Peter Foldes on
traycat

See the following
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320397
--
Peter

From: thecreator on
Hi straycat,

It is not missing at all. It is still there.

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition E" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition G" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

What is missing or that is changed, is located in Boot.ini file on your
computer. The pointers for the operating system partition got changed.

It is currently pointing to a partition that does not contain your
operating system.

You need to edit Boot.ini from MS-DOS or from your other operating
system, if you dual-boot your computer.

--
thecreator

From: Jose on
On Jan 26, 2:10 pm, straycat <stray...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> After using the recovery CD's to re-boot my computer, I am left with the
> message, "NTLDR is missing. Use CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart computer". I am now
> in a vicious loop. How do I fix/replace this file?
> HELP

You should first boot your PC into the XP Recovery Console using a
bootable XP installation CD or a bootable CD with the XP Recovery
Console on it. This is not the same as any Recovey or System CDs that
may have come with a
store bought system.

Here is how you can make a Recovery Console CD:

When in the Recovery Console, rebuild your boot.ini file.

Before rebuiling your boot.ini file, read these helpful articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

From the Recovery Console C:\WINDOWS folder, rename the current
boot.ini file, then make a new one:

cd \
attrib -shr boot.ini
ren boot.ini boot.ini.bak
bootcfg /rebuild

When bootcfg /rebuild asks for Load identifier enter whatever text is
appropriate, such as:

Windows XP Professional

When it asks for load options enter:

/fastdetect

Press Enter.

Here is additional information about how to start Recovery Console:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Here is additional information about the Recovery Console commands you
will be using:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

You can consider adding RC as a boot option to your system.

A good idea (now that you have had this experience) is to create a
bootable XP installation CD with the latest Service Pack already
installed.
From: Peter Foldes on
HUH??

--