From: kung_fu_nelly on

I own a laptop now for just under three years, just recently I got a
spate of BSOD errors, referring to atapi.sys.

Following this error, I got an HDD error saying the device was not
found. I went on to do a System Restore, and for awhile the BSOD errors
stopped!

But now they're back... I was hoping that by doing a System Restore,
this would have replaced the atapi.sys driver, thus solving the problems
if the driver was corrupt...now I'm not sure if the hard drive or RAM
could be going, seeing as the BSOD errors have started again.

Here's the gist of the info from the blue screen:

kernel_data_inpage_error

STOP: 0x0000007A (0xC07C1640, 0XC000000E, 0XF82C8130, 0X198B0860)

atapi.sys

Address F82C8130 base at F82B7000, Datastamp 41107b4d

Anyone know what this error possibly forbodes?

--
kung_fu_nelly
kung_fu_nelly's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=52544

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Paul on
kung_fu_nelly wrote:
> I own a laptop now for just under three years, just recently I got a
> spate of BSOD errors, referring to atapi.sys.
>
> Following this error, I got an HDD error saying the device was not
> found. I went on to do a System Restore, and for awhile the BSOD errors
> stopped!
>
> But now they're back... I was hoping that by doing a System Restore,
> this would have replaced the atapi.sys driver, thus solving the problems
> if the driver was corrupt...now I'm not sure if the hard drive or RAM
> could be going, seeing as the BSOD errors have started again.
>
> Here's the gist of the info from the blue screen:
>
> kernel_data_inpage_error
>
> STOP: 0x0000007A (0xC07C1640, 0XC000000E, 0XF82C8130, 0X198B0860)
>
> atapi.sys
>
> Address F82C8130 base at F82B7000, Datastamp 41107b4d
>
> Anyone know what this error possibly forbodes?

Stop codes are here.

http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

000000007A = KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

The second parameter is the reason. The reason is not listed in the
MSDN article linked for stop 7A. But I tried a search on it, and
C000000E = STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE is the translation. Which means
the drive "disappeared" at some point, and did not answer.
An excessive response time, might indicate trouble reading a particular
sector, and while normally the software would properly track the
state of the drive ("I'm busy"), is sounds like the driver was
attempting to access the drive, while the drive was still trying
like 50 times, to read the sector.

When is the last time you backed up your data ?

Can you afford to lose that drive entirely ?

Have you burned your set of "recovery CDs" as instructed in the manual ?

Without recovery CDs, it may be difficult to reinstall the OS provided
with your laptop. The laptop may have a copy of Windows in the recovery
partition, but if the drive fails, that partition is gone. Which is why the
manual will normally recommend burning a set of recovery CDs for future
usage. You only get one chance to burn them (as they don't want you making
a lot of copies). And I'd also want to immediately rip the CD and store
a copy of the CD as an ISO9660 file, for a day in the future when you
need to make yet more copies. And that takes at least one, if not two,
backup hard drives, so you won't lose it. Optical media doesn't last
forever, and you should prepare accordingly. Some laptop makers, stop
offering recovery CDs for sale, after the warranty period of the
product has expired, so then you'd be screwed if you hadn't made your
own copies when you had a chance.

If you know the brand of the hard drive (you might get that info from
Device Manager, or from some utility), you can go to the hard drive
manufacturer's web site and download a diagnostic. The diagnostic
will either say the drive is OK, or give some meaningless error code.
The diagnostic is there, to distinguish when a warranty claim can be
made. If the drive doesn't get a passing grade, then you know it is only
a matter of time before the drive is toast.

So now is the time to prepare for the worst. Not later, when the
drive is totally gone. You'd be surprised how many people never
make the recovery CDs for themselves.

HTH,
Paul
From: Gerry on
Background information on Stop Error message

0x0000007A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
A page of kernel data was not found in the pagefile and could not be
read into memory. This might be due to incompatible disk or controller
drivers, firmware, or hardware.
Source: http://aumha.org:80/a/stop.htm

Before attempting to resolve the problem you should back up your
important data files.

Are there any yellow question marks in Device Manager? Right click on
the My Computer icon on your Desktop and select Properties,
Hardware,Device Manager. If yes what is the Device Error code?

Go to Start, Control Panel, Folder Options, View, Advanced Settings and
verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked
and "Hide protected operating system files " is unchecked. You may need
to scroll down to see the second item. You should also make certain that
the box before "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.
select View, Choose Details and check before Name, Type, Total Size, and
Free Space.

C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 95360
bytes (94% of all occurrence), 86656 bytes. The driver can be started or
stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. It is a
Windows system file. The program is not visible. The service has no
detailed description. File atapi.sys is a trustworthy file from
Microsoft. Therefore the technical security rating is 20% dangerous,
however also read the users reviews. Important: Some malware camouflage
themselves as atapi.sys, particularly if they are located in c:\windows
or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the atapi.sys process on your
pc whether it is pest. Source:
http://www.file.net/process/atapi.sys.html
The process IDE/ATAPI Port Driver belongs to the software Microsoft
Windows Operating System or Standard Ide/ESDI Hard Disk Controller by
Microsoft Corporation.

Now open Windows Explorer and locate atapi.sys at the location
C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Place the cursor on atapi.sys, right click
and select Properties.
Note and post details of the file version, size (not size on disk), and
modified date.

Have you checked your hard drive?

Try HD Tune only gives information and does not fix any problems.

Download and run it and see what it turns up. You want HD Tune
(freeware) version 2.55 not HD Tune Pro (not Freeware) version 3.00.
http://www.hdtune.com/

Select the Info tabs and place the cursor on the drive under Drive
letter and then double click the two page icon ( copy to Clipboard )
and copy into a further message.

Select the Health tab and then double click the two page icon ( copy to
Clipboard ) and copy into a further message. Make sure you do a full
surface scan with HD Tune.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: kung_fu_nelly on

First of all guys, thanks for all the replies, and I tried almost
everything you advised:

I ran a virus scan with AVG and turned up nothing, and the atapi.sys
file turned up as 94KB in all instances so I don't think it's corrupt

I also tried the diagnostic from the drive manufacturer which in this
case is Hitachi, but everything turned up fine when I ran an advanced
test

Also no yellow marks in Device Manager

Could it still be the Hard Drive...or could it possibly be the RAM?

I ran a generic RAM tester from download.com but everything turned up
fine there as well...I am in the process of trying the Hard Drive
Tuner...

Paul, I am afraid to report I am one of those slackers who didn't
create the disks, :( unfortunately because I didn't read the
manual...but I am in the process of backing up my hard drive just in
case

From: Paul on
kung_fu_nelly wrote:

> Paul, I am afraid to report I am one of those slackers who didn't
> create the disks, :( unfortunately because I didn't read the
> manual...but I am in the process of backing up my hard drive just in
> case

Make the discs :-) Depending on the kind of backup software
you're using, it only backs up the visible stuff. It may not
do anything with any invisible partitions. If you make the
CDs, you'll have as much of the value from the manufacturer's
software, as you can get. In some cases, if the machine is out
of warranty, the manufacturer will refuse to sell you the CDs.
That is why you make your own, and preferably before there is
real trouble.

You are right, that when a set of symptoms present
themselves, there can be other causes than the obvious
ones. I had such an experience just yesterday. I
woke this system from sleep, and was greeted by a blue
screen. I figured, "Oh, great, my boot disk is dead", and
switched to my alternate boot disk (I have two). I got
a different blue screen. Now I'm going "Hmmm". So
I pulled some RAM out of the computer, and the blue
screen was gone. Even though the error messages looked
like disk problems.

And the really funny part, is I have four identical 512MB
sticks of RAM. I put two sticks in my current machine, and
they pass Memtest86+. I put the other two sticks in my
backup machine. And they test clean as well. But if all
four sticks are installed together, they're a no-go.

I expect I haven't seen the end of my little gremlin, and only
time will tell, if some new symptoms will point a finger at
the guilty party. (I'm thinking I might have a flawed Northbridge
or Northbridge power source.)

Paul

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2