From: Spencer on
Well I believe I have gotten some sort of virus on my computer. When I start
it up I get a blue screen with the error code 0X00000024 (0X001902FE,
0XB84EB4E0, 0XB84EB1DC, 0X8A4FE889). My computer only runs in safe mode right
now. I've tried anti malware and registry fixes but I still get a blue
screen. Any possible solutions?
From: VanguardLH on
Spencer wrote:

> Well I believe I have gotten some sort of virus on my computer. When I start
> it up I get a blue screen with the error code 0X00000024 (0X001902FE,
> 0XB84EB4E0, 0XB84EB1DC, 0X8A4FE889). My computer only runs in safe mode right
> now. I've tried anti malware and registry fixes but I still get a blue
> screen. Any possible solutions?

Install any drivers lately? Did you install any hardware updates from the
Windows Update site?

Yet tried booting windows, going into the boot menu, and selecting the "use
last known good configuration"?
From: Andrew E. on
Try this link & enter the errors:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/ee_advanced.aspx
Also,how does one run all that software & still be in safe-mode.....

From: glee on
"Spencer" <Spencer(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well I believe I have gotten some sort of virus on my computer. When I
> start
> it up I get a blue screen with the error code 0X00000024 (0X001902FE,
> 0XB84EB4E0, 0XB84EB1DC, 0X8A4FE889). My computer only runs in safe
> mode right
> now. I've tried anti malware and registry fixes but I still get a blue
> screen. Any possible solutions?

The first thing I would check is the hard drive and file system. If
possible, back up your important data, then run:
CHKDSK /r
from the command prompt in Safe Mode, or from a Safe Mode Command Prompt
boot.
I would also be advisable to run a hard drive diagnostic from bootable
media (e.g. CD). Seagate Seatools for DOS or the diagnostic from your
particular hard drive manufacturer. If the issue still exists after
CHKDSK and a diagnostic, then explore the other possibilities.

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x24

<quote>
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the
system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a
physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may
be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive
fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of
drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running
ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters
such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check
the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or
SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device
drivers to the most current versions.
</quote>

Bug Check 0x24: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms793935.aspx

<quote>
One possible cause of this bug check is disk corruption. Corruption in
the NTFS file system or bad blocks (sectors) on the hard disk can induce
this error. Corrupted SCSI and IDE drivers can also adversely affect the
system's ability to read and write to disk, thus causing the error.

Another possible cause is depletion of nonpaged pool memory. If the
nonpaged pool memory is completely depleted, this error can stop the
system. However, during the indexing process, if the amount of available
nonpaged pool memory is very low, another kernel-mode driver requiring
nonpaged pool memory can also trigger this error.
</quote>

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: Jose on
On Mar 16, 9:56 pm, Spencer <Spen...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Well I believe I have gotten some sort of virus on my computer. When I start
> it up I get a blue screen with the error code 0X00000024 (0X001902FE,
> 0XB84EB4E0, 0XB84EB1DC, 0X8A4FE889). My computer only runs in safe mode right
> now. I've tried anti malware and registry fixes but I still get a blue
> screen. Any possible solutions?

You should eliminate the obvious and easy things first, then fix any
remaining issues.

Run chkdsk from Recovery Console
Test your RAM

Was the issue preceded by a power interruption, aborted restart, or
improper shutdown?

These can cause corruption in the file system which must be fixed
before you do anything else.

If any of those events have occurred, you should boot into the Windows
Recovery Console using a bootable XP installation CD, or create on a
bootable XP Recovery Console CD. This is not the same as any recovery
disks that might have come a store bought system.

For each of your hard disks, you should then run:

chkdsk /r

For example, from the Recovery Console prompt, enter:

chkdsk c: /r

You can create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD when no XP media is
available:

Run a test of your RAM with memtest86+ (I know it is boring and will
cost you a CD).

Memtest86+ is a more up to date version of the old memtest program and
they are not the same.

The memtest86+ will not run under Windows, so you will need to
download the ISO file and create a bootable CD, boot on that and then
run the memtest86+ program.

If even a single error is reported that is a failure and should make
you suspicious of your RAM.

If you have multiple sticks of RAM you may need to run the test on
them one at a time and change them out to isolate the failure to a
particular single stick. Always keep at least the first bank of RAM
occupied so the test will find something to do and there is enough to
boot your system.

Sometimes, reseating the RAM in the slots will relieve the error but a
failure is still cause for suspicion.

The file and instructions are here:

http://www.memtest.org/